We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Bike Week

Markham
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
After Bike Week

We were planning on heading to MB from May 24th to the 30th with our kids. But I think Bike week ends on the 20th. Is this correct? And if Bike Week does end on the 20th, do most of the Bikers go home or is it still busy b/c of upcoming Memorial day? Are the beaches and hotels in good condition at this time given that Bike Week ends days before we show up. I thought I read posts that the beaches and some hotels are a mess with the large volume of people.

I'm just wondering if the atmosphere will be suitable for a family with young kids or if it will be nosy.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: After Bike Week

I had posted previous questions about Bike Week. You may want to scroll further down on TA and look for it. I seem to recall that there are two Bike Weeks in May. The first one is from either 5/7 thru 5/17 and the second one starts I think the week before Memorial Day weekend.

Check out the other posting for sure on the dates

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Bike Week

There are 2 bike 'weeks'....you are missing the first one, but the Atlantic Bike Week (also referred to as Black Bike Week) is in full swing Memorial Day weekend. We typically are visiting that weekend and have never any issues other than noise and traffic, however, have read of nightmarish stories from other posters. The week before or the week after would be a safer bet, but if you are locked into that week, could be a little dicey. A lot depends on where you are lodging.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Bike Week

Atlantic Beach Bike Week runs May 27-30 and is centered north of Myrtle Beach in Atlantic City Beach but there will be heavy motorcycle traffic all the way down to Murrells Inlet. At our resort last year, near Surfside, just south of MB, the attendance was off 30-40% as compared to previous years. The Harley ralley earlier in May was down about 50% due to the city of MB enforcing noise, traffic and helmet laws within the city limits. We have been there the past 12 years and have no real problems other than heavier traffic around meal times if you go out to eat and a little rowdy behaviour.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After Bike Week

Meant to say township of Atlantic Beach, not Atlantic City Beach.

Markham
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Bike Week

Sorry, not quite certain of which part of MB are hotel is located. We are planning on staying at Sandy Beach which is near the Family Kingdom Amusement park. Is this near the 2nd Bike week?

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
87 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After Bike Week

Black bike week increased in volume after Atlanta got rid of freaknik in Atlanta. Basically it is a weekend of younger crowds which show up to just cruise the strip all day long. Ocean Boulevard will be limited to a South direction. Traffic wil be horrible Friday night to Sunday night. If you can park the car and go out on the beach - you should be fine. The younger crowds tend to jsut stand around on the boulevard - but Myrtle put in a bunch of new laws last year and the crowds were much smaller. You can walk to the Donut Man for Breakfast or Lunch and Thorny's for dinner. It just depends on what you were looking to do.

7. Re: After Bike Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 07:17