We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - April 15-18

Coral Springs FL
Level Contributor
741 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - April 15-18

Good Morning Everyone!!! We returned from our Romantic Getaway to Myrtle Beach yesterday, rested and happy!

This is my first time to Myrtle Beach, and we (me and my fiance - late 40s early 50s couple) went because of the deals on airfare, car rental and hotel that we found online. Once I had done a little research (needing a car and what to see) and all the reservations were made, we decided to do a few things, and we had an awesome time! Thanks for the hospitality!

Best Decisions:

Brookgreen Gardens ($12 each for a 6 day pass) and the Trekker Tour ($7. each). This was so peaceful and beautiful, and the bird of prey section was a real surprise. Loved learning about South Carolina history and seeing all of the beautiful trees, flowers, and sculpture.

Bubba's Love Shak - The food was really great. Relaxed and affordable. Great Service. Medium cost. We went about 4pm for a late lunch/early dinner.

Rental Car - We got a great deal on Priceline, and ended up with a Hyundai (sp?) Accent. It was brand new, and my fiance who is 6'3" had no trouble. The car got excellent mileage (we only used 4 gallons even though we went everywhere everyday without thinking about it) and had a HUGE trunk and seating area.

Biggest Disappointment - We couldn't find any local home-spun restaurants with great home cooked southern breakfast. Everything was really cookie-cutter, and though we spoke to locals, no one had any suggestions. Maybe they were afraid to tell us?

Other Items:

We stayed at the Westgate Oceanfront. All of the reviews that were bad were from people who had only made one contribution, so I took them with a grain of salt. It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't stay there again. I posted a separate review

Broadway at the Beach was more fun than I thought it would be. We thought the admission to the aquarium was a little steep, so we skipped it. Hated that the "Information" booth was a time-share place, so they weren't very nice in there if you just wanted information.

We have already decided we would come back and try another hotel. We want to go to Hobcaw Barony next time!

Thanks to the experts for helping make my trip excellent!

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - April 15-18

What a lovely report! I have enjoyed reading it. It seems that you both had a great time. I also love Brookgreen Gardens ...

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - April 15-18

For home cooked breakfast at a locally owned spot you might try Village Cafe in Surfside Beach. The food is always good, the people are nice and they servce breakfast all day.

http://www.villagecafesurfside.com/

Mentioned in this post
Surfside Beach
Surfside Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - April 15-18

Sounds like y'all had fun. Ask before coming down next time, and we'll get you lined up for a real Southern breakfast. Thomas' Diner in Georgetown and Litchfield Restaurant in Pawleys Island are our two favorites. Eggs Up is also very popular, with 3 locations around the area, but IMO not real high on Southerness. :-)

Hobcaw Barony is well worth a visit. Not as spectacular as Brookgreen, but very educational and a rare opportunity to see well-preserved, undeveloped coastal lowlands in their natural state.

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown
Georgetown
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - April 15-18

Second the recommendation for Village Cafe for breakfast. Also might want to try Croissants French Bistro and Bakery for breakfast. Very near BATB.

5. Re: Trip Report - April 15-18

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 07:17