We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Grocery Store is the best?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Which Grocery Store is the best?

I'll be at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation.

I "google mapped" the area and the closest chain stype stores are the following:

Bi Low

Piggly Wiggly

Food Lion

Walmart Super Center

Which one will I enjoy the most regarding selection, price, quality and fresh food counters? I love a nice grocery store, the ones in Brooklyn are not so nice.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

Only tip I can give is stay away from the WalMarts on Sat and Sun. Summer season those are check-in days for most vacationers. First thing they do is run out to stock kitchen. The WalMarts get slammed. By Sunday evening most of the smaller vacation sized bottles of things are hard to find on the shelves.

We got into habit of going light the first two days. Milk, bread, eggs and snacks.etc.... Eat first few meals out and then hit store on Monday for bulk of week's groceries.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

Food Lion is pretty good. If you can wait until the next morning to go, it will not be the crowded. Wal-Mart is a disaster on Sat & Sun. That is the only place were I have seen all 20 some check out lines open with lines on a Sat evening. Like I said, try to go off hours like in the morning and you will get your shopping done in no time. For some reason everyone goes as soon as they arrive on Sat. and the places are packed.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

I agree with the above posters. All those stores are pretty good...just stay away Saturday and Sunday afternoons!! (Go super early or super late on those days if you really have to)

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

It will not be the closest to you, but it is not very far away either. We really like the LOWE'S grocery store near the intersection of 544 and 17 Bypass.

Great selections and not nearly as crowded. If you are a SAM"S CLUB or COSTCO member, they have nearby stores also.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

We shop at Walmart on Saturday afternoon and found the lines reasonable. We also like to go to Bi-Lo.

Indian Land, SC
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

Kroger, if there is one near you...

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

Just a grocery store warning- at most stores, Food Lion, Kroeger you often need a special membership card to get flyer specials. This happened to me several times. I never actually tried to get cards as it was only a week. When I got home I found out my mom who used to stay in Myrtle for over a month every spring had all the cards. So ...read the fine print. We did shop at Walmart on a Saturday in March and it was BUSY. I found the Piggly Wiggly in Myrtle near 21st to be handy but pretty scary and none too clean.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

There is also a Lowes Food near 82nd Ave North (where Rte 17 Bus and Bypass split) which might be more convenient than Surfside. Head North on Rte 17 Bypass, if you pass Dolly Parton's, then you've gone just too far !

My wife is a "foodie" and she loves Lowes.

Good Luck !

Gastonia, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

We will be in area in July (also at Sheraton's Broadway Plantation) and the other posters are correct about Saturday and Sunday being very crowded especially at Walmart. For convenience, the BiLo, which is around the corner is good and is a nice store. Also you will need a BiLo card to take advantage of their specials.

Myrtle Beach,SC
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Grocery Store is the best?

Bi-Lo is the closest to where you are staying and is a very nice grocery store. While I love both Food Lion and Kroger too as I shop at all three depending on who has what on sale, I think for sure Bi-Lo has the nicest store out of them.