We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Seafood Restaurants

Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Seafood Restaurants

We will travelling to MB, staying at the Wyndham Sea Watch. This will be our 1st trip to MB and we need input on family friendly seafood restaurants. We are more interested in the local places, not the chain restaurants. Moderate price is our preference. Please share your preferences.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

Sara J's in Garden City and Lee's Inlet Kitchen in Murrell's Inlet are our favorites.

http://www.leesinletkitchen.com/

http://www.sarajs.com/index.php

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

I second lee's inlet kitchen.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

Where you are staying is between Myrtle Beach and the town of North Myrtle Beach. A very nice area! You'll also be close to "Restaurant Row." There are plenty of restaurants there, including several giant seafood buffets. I can't give you any recommendations on buffets, but if you are interested in those, there are plenty of postings here.

One of the most popular local restaurants is the Sea Captain's House: http://www.seacaptains.com/

We prefer to drive north to dine. Some great restaurants in North Myrtle, Little River, and of course the town of Calabash, North Carolina.

- Sea Merchants in North Myrtle

- Duffy Street Seafood Shack in North Myrtle

- Crab Catchers in Little River

- Bimini's Oyster Bar on Lake Arrowhead Road

- Boundary House in Calabash.

While in Myrtle, you'll see dozens of restaurants that say "Calabash Seafood." There is a fishing village in North Carolina (just across the border, and ABSOLUTELY worth the drive from Myrtle). The village has made famous their style of cooking seafood... which is basically battered and deep fried. Many restaurants in the Myrtle Beach area adopted that cooking style, and will advertise that. You'll see "Calabash Seafood" signs everywhere. But if you really want to try Calabash Seafood, you need to drive up to the town of Calabash and eat at one of the many restaurants on the waterfront.

I can't really eat all of that deep fried stuff, but some people love it. The restaurants I recommended above are NOT "Calabash style" restaurants.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

Another vote for Sara J's in Garden City. There is a smaller place on Hwy 707 in the St James strip mall that we like, Driftwoods. I do not see many references to it, but we have had some very good meals at Nibils on the pier in Surfside Beach too. like you, we prefer the smaller "local" places, like the Village Cafe in Surfside for breakfast omelettes.

Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

Thanks everyone for your input. Any more? We have 6 days to fill. :)

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

We like the Seafood Hut in Calabash NC. It is not on the water but the food is good.

Morganton, NC
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

Here are some seafood places that my husband and I really like:

Drunken Jack's in Murrells Inlet

Dirty Don's Oyster Bar (21st Ave N in MB)

Bimini's on Lake Arrowhead Rd

Islamorada Fish Company at the Colonial Mall (not sure they still do it but they did have 1/2 apps & sushi from 4-7)

Daytona Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

If you want Crab Legs - Drunken Jacks

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

My fav is south of Myrtle in Litchfield Beach - Gilligan's. They are out of Charleston and newer to the MB area but fantastic. And, good value.

Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Seafood Restaurants

We always go to Bimini's. Not expensive, good food, but it IS LOUD! This is a fun place, but not the atmosphere for a quiet meal. Sol, the owner, makes sure everyone has a good time. Been taking our kids there since they were in high chairs - very kid friendly.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 15:04