We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in restaurants????

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in restaurants????

Someone inquired in one of the restaurant posts about non smoking sections. I take it you are permitted to smoke in restaurants in MB. Please tell me most restaurants are non smoking.

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

Well I hope you have some luck finding out - I have been asking as well. With one daughter allergic to tobacco (in any form) and myself with asthma this is a big deal. I will be following your post.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

I don't know that anyone has done a survey to determine whether most MB restaurants are non-smoking or not. In recent years, we have noticed more non-smoking restaurants, but many still offer both seating options. If it's a major concern, I recommend calling ahead to the restaurant.

In general, SC takes a "hands-off" philosophy toward regulation of private businesses, leaving the decision to individuals. The Town of Surfside Beach is an exception, banning smoking in most public places, including restaurants and bars within their town limits.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

As an asthmatic living in a non-smoking state (no smoking in restaurants, bars or public buildings) I really take notice of this issue when visiting states with different laws. It's been my experience that if a restaurant has a smoking section you shouldn't have any trouble. This is a real hot-button issue, on both sides, and it seems that restaurants take great measures to make sure smoke never drifts into the non-smoking areas.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,910 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

In the Charleston area - the Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, Mt. Pleasant and downtown Charleston have all banned smoking in public places.

So all restaurants are smoke free in these areas.

N. GA
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

I am blessed to live in a restaurant smoke free town. Medically, I cannot handle smoke...even if there is a smoking section. I realize it is probably not a free call from Canada, but I planned where we would eat and called to inquire about smoking even before we left home.If I had a better memory and it was not 2 years ago, I would be able to share some names of places with you.

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

HI hot beach momma, I have been looking into this as well as I mentioned. We have been before to MB and I will warn you that some of the restaurants we went to their non-smoking sections were not very good. So we always had to do take-out. This year I am investigating more so that we have a better experience. What I have found out and will work for us - surfside beach which is only 20-30 minutes away. They are totally smoke free! If I am planning a night out that sort of drive to get the environment that is medically safe for my asthma is no big deal. There are few smoke free in MB so keep an eye out and talk to the hotels/locals when you are there. I seem to remember eating breakfast at a hot stacks that was smoke free last year. I remeber going into Liberty Tavern at Broadway at the Beach and it must have either been smoke free or had an excellent separation in their non-smoking section. But those are the only two that I know of.

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

Can someone start a list of non-smoking restaurants?

We had to leave "The Office Italian Pub" last year before finishing our dinner because the smoke was so bad. The food wasn't bad, but we probably won't go back.

We were able to find a table at Bimini's where the smoke wasn't too bad, they also have an outdoor seating area.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

Surfside is a non smoking city which is just south of MB.

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

Ok so found this link to a listing of smoke free restaurants in the area:

http://www.smokefreehorry.org/dining.html

lets add to the list!

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking in restaurants????

needabreakCanada and all other posters, thank you for your input.

I myself am not allergic or have asthma issues, but choose to attend only smoke free restaurants. I do not want to subject myself or my family to the smokey enviroment. I am quite surprised with all of the statistic out there that your beautiful state of SC is not smoke free in your restaurants and public places.

Meals really are not enjoyable in a smokey atmosphere. Granted some restaurants do a good job filtering the smoke for us non smokers, but why take the chance that the restaurant you have chosen is going to be one of those.

My $ will be spent at non smoking establishments.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 18:32