We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is it possible?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
How is it possible?

I am a big fan and user of T/A. How can the Admiral Motor Inn be ranked #2 in MB. This is a perfect example of why it's important to read reviews but it's also important to comprehend what reviewers are saying. I am sure that this Inn is very friendly to your budget and is a nice value but there can be no comparision in amenities,location,etc. So choose carefully.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is it possible?

It's based on the number of positive reviews. There are places who ask happy people to write reviews.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is it possible?

I agree with you a 100% it always best to do a lot of research some times the reviews are overly exaggerate. When I travel I note the places T/A has outstanding reviews and some are dumps. It's really not their fault it's what is presented to them. They cannot visit every places they post on these site and Travel forum is by far very honest.And some of the people live in area or had travel there and have some experiences in what too expect. I understand your frustration I 've had a similar situation last year traveling to Smokies. A lot travel site beside this one rated most of the hotels and motels outstanding reviews that they were great. But actual it was far from it there were only two great hotels. Which we stay in one of them. I did a lot research on it for a while. If you have your heart set on one particular place. You should go on Facebook and join there fan page and get reviews or Travel Forum.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is it possible?

This is what you must be careful about. When you have a small motel that seems to be well run and where they solicit for postive reviews and get them , this little place with almost no pics or real description becomes the 2nd ranked place to stay in MB. All reviews must be read carefully and when places are pumping themselves the readers should be careful

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is it possible?

The key here is way too many reviewers with a single review posting for this place. Add to that the management responses and it raises all sorts of legitimacy concerns. I'm always suspicious of any post from a reviewer with no previous history and none since the single post. I'm not saying it's always a scam but it makes me do a lot more homework or just avoid the place to be safe.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is it possible?

Many reviewers with only a single post have an agenda. Often they have not stayed/eaten/etc at the location mentioned, but are employees, relatives or in the case of terrible reviews employees of the competition.

I generally suggest disregarding any review from someone with a single post.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is it possible?

I agree with all of the above. There is no way that small a motel gets more reviews than a resort with almost 1000 units in less than 12 months. There must be some kind of inducement to post, especially since most are first time posts ,

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is it possible?

Just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean it's true !!!!!

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is it possible?

In the case of the Admiral Motor Inn, I believe the content of the reviews. Given the frequency of the reviews I also believe that they're being solicited in one way or another. This doesn't bother me so long as the reviews are honest.

Heartfelt reviews of a small motel helped me to pick a winner my first trip to MB.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is it possible?

I always use Tripadvisor when slecting a resort and it does bother me when I see the MB ranking. How can the #1 resort in MB not even be on the beach and #2 be a small motel. This is one of the only destinations where it seems the rankings are very skewed.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is it possible?

Again if you notice there was a very bad review and as soon as that posted it was immediately followed by rave reviews. When a hotel doesn't really post many pics there is always a reason and the 1 of the room is very unflattering. There is little doubt that this establishment is trying to manipulate the TA ranking and has done very well doing it. When a small old fashioned motor inn can be ranked as high as #2 in MB, you know something is not right.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach