We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Unique to South Carolina

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Food Unique to South Carolina

What are some foods that are unique to South Carolina or what South Carolina is known for? For instance, New England is known for maple syrup, baked beans, lobster, cranberries, and clam chowder. I was wondering what South Carolina is known for and where I could go to try the food.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

Grits, collards,

Interesting regional:

Frogmore Stew. It's a mixture of sausage, potatoes, corn and shrimp, seasoned with a prepared spice mix such as Old Bay seasoning, and boiled until everything is tender and the shrimp have turned pink.. (St. Helena Island)

Both Carolinas: Carolina bouillabaisse called Carolina Muddle

Around Charleston:- Gullah cooking read: gourmet.com/food/…forgottencuisine-gullah

Fish stew: Pine Bark Stew - hard to find in restaurants....

BBQs Carolina style

Benne Wafers

Lots of good seafood - some local recipes: Lee's

http://www.leesinletkitchen.com/

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

I don't know if it's unique to S.Carolina, but hush puppies with honey butter are my favorite Myrtle Beach vacation food. I've never seen anything like that in Ohio!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

Shrimp and grits and she crab soup are probably the two signature dishes of Lowcountry SC. Although grits are usually associated with breakfast, it's more common to find shrimp and grits on a lunch or dinner menu. Both are also probably the most abused Southern recipes you'll find around MB. Done well, with Southern cooking skills, they are a delight. Done poorly, both can be nasty.

As Sophie pointed out, Frogmore Stew is also representative of Lowcountry cuisine and truly delicious. It's usually prepared as part of social gatherings for larger crowds, and can be difficult to find in restaurants.

Chicken Pilau (pronounced per-low) is another SC classic. Prepared by an experienced cook in a black iron pot, it can be delicious, but in most commercial places it comes out tasting like dry chicken stew.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 16:28
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

I had excellent shrimp and grits at High Hammock at Pawley's a couple of weeks ago.

mavericksouthernkitchens.com/highhammock/#

The link has menus and a pic of the S&G.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

Sophie - where do you come up with this stuff? I have lived here all my life and am an accomplished cook and I have never heard of bouillabaise referred to as Carolina Muddle. Nor fish stew called Pine Bark Stew.

In the Charleston area you will find many more unique regional dishes, almost every good restaurant has an excellent version of shrimp and grits, She Crab soup is a Charleston dish, as are Benne Wafers (made from sesame seeds, brought from Africa during slave times). Other southern dishes, but not specifically SC are - fried green tomatos, banana pudding, hush puppies, biscuits, chicken and dumplings, cane syrup (made from sugar cane as opposed to maple), cornbread etc.

Unfortunately, Myrtle Beach does not tend to have alot of these items, they have lost alot of regional items in favor of what will appeal to the broadest base of tourists and of course mountains of fried seafood. The Charleston area probably has the highest concentration of regional dishes that are widely available.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 22:48
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

That reminds me of when we went to Jestine's in Charleston last spring. We heard so much about it & just had to try it. It was very good but we had to laugh because most of it was what our grandma's in Ohio would make for a Sunday meal when we were kids. Right down to the fried green tomatoes & cucumbers with onion & vinegar.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

Thanks everyone! I will at least have to try hush puppies and grits. With the shrimp and grits, is the shrimp mixed in with the grits or is it separate from the grits but just always served together?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

Depends on where you eat it. Traditionally, it's all mixed together. Now, in most spots, They put it over the grits. Anyway you choose, it is delicious.

I know grits frighten Northerners. Do it anyway.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 02:04
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

To endosunshine

I lived for a while in Charleston & got to know some older folks on & around Edisto Island. They often had what I mentioned for special gatherings...such as weddings, family reunion, etc. Last time I had Carolina Muddle was in High Point, NC, but the families around Edisto knew it.did some research on the net, after you have asked me, and here is the result.

practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/carol…

ncmuseumofhistory.org/workshops/…soup.htm

After reading all that, I think that a lot of recipes are from neighboring states....

Frogmore Stew

I think there are many variations, & as PawleysDude mentioned, mainly for family gatherings; I have yet to find a restaurant that would have it. It's truly delicious.

whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/frogmorestew.htm

beaufortcountylibrary.org/htdocs-sirsi/frogm…

The Chicken Pilau can be found in restaurants around Hilton Head, I think; the ones in NC are not the same....

home-ec101.com/no-matter-how-you-say-it-chic…

The 2 specialities I have yet to try are: Huguenot torte & Coastal Carolina Shrimp and Grits Torte. Does anybody have a good recipe for each?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Unique to South Carolina

BBQ (sauces vary depending on region), peaches, boiled peanuts.......blue crabs and local flounder are a hit in the Myrtle Beach area.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach