We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to leave laptop in room?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to leave laptop in room?

I was just looking to get some opinions on whether it is safe to leave a laptop in your room when out. We would like to bring our laptop when we stay at the Caribbean Resort in a few weeks. They do have in room safes, but I called and they said they would not be big enough to fit our 15" Mac. We stayed at the Dunes Village a couple years ago and it did fit in those safes so it was not an issue. My wife uses the computer for work and getting it stolen would be disastrous. Does anyone have any input or ideas. We really would like to have it for the week just to stay connected, but is it worth the risk?

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

If losing the computer would truly be disastrous, then don't leave ever leave it in the room. That's what laptop bags are for. But if you must leave it, try what I do.

Hotel rooms almost always have a dresser that meets the floor all around, making it impossible for something to roll underneath. I put the items I want to hide on the floor, lift one end of the dresser a few inches, and have someone slide the stuff underneath. It's highly unlikely a thief would go lifting heavy furniture. I believe this is safer than a safe.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 20:47
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

I wouldn't recommend it. Your maid may not be a thief and you are not likely to have a break-in but when they clean your room they leave the door propped open and it is easy for someone looking for an opportunity to grab something. For that matter your maid would likely not even ask if someone came in and acted like they new what they were doing. Until recently we had been leaving nothing but phone chargers in our room when we traveled but guess what. Yep one of the chargers was stolen and we found out it was the most expensive of the 3 chargers we had with us when we went to buy a replacement. Someone knew what they were doing when they took the charger. If it doesn't fit in the room safe and it has any value to speak of it goes with us when we leave. The problem is when you're at the beach you don't go get in the car to go to the water so you don't have much choice if everyone leaves the room at the same time.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

That is not a concern for us as we have a lockable private closet. A friend did say that they have left their lap top by removing the kitchen trash bag, putting the lap top in the bottom and reinstalling the trash bag so as to conceal that something is underneath. Any potential thief would be in too much of a hurry to check the trash can.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

Hope the maid doesn't just dump the trash.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

Yes, don't think I would go the trash can route!

Under the dresser or night stand is a good idea.

Or maybe bottom of drawers with clothes on top.

If you brought it with you in the car and

left it while you were in a resturant or at Broadway.....would the

sweltering heat not mess with it?? Just wondering.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

well we have had ours with us at least twice and had no problems and really took no extreme measures.. If it didnt fit in the safe then hiding it under something was what we did. Now we really didnt have an issue of the maids since my hubby is not a morning person or tooo much of a beach person.. he goes because its what we all like.. so there for he is in the room alot and is usually always there when the maids come in.. we also keep maid service to a minimum clean towels, take the garbage and maybe one change of sheets while we are there..

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

You just hit upon the problem with all of this. The car gets too hot to leave most electronics inside. I've left gadgets in my car by accident, and they've survived, but a laptop is just too complex to risk. (Although you could always put the laptop in a cooler.) This is why I always find a way to conceal my valuables in my hotel room. Just to be safe, I've been known to remove the hard drive from my laptop and carry it with me. THAT is the real valuable part.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

Don't leave anything valuable in your room. All you have to do is look on youtube and see tons of videos telling people where to look for items, how to pick locks and even how to open a locked suitcase without disturbing the lock.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

I also called the hotel to ask about the hotel safe, but was told they do not have one at the front desk. We did this last year when we stayed in Bethesda. When we left the room for an extended period of time the front desk was more than happy to let us put in in a safe deposit locker that they had. However that was at the Hyatt Regency, and it caters more to business travelers. I think we may just do without it for the week, and really just relax!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to leave laptop in room?

You are right endosunshine! You might have left valuables in hotel rooms a hundred times and nobody took advantage, but unsecured items are vulnerable to somebody who has a method or an opportunity, and if you keep it up you will probably be sorry. Extremely few Housekeepers have ever been personally responsible for thefts in rooms, why would they risk their jobs or a jail term?, however master keys get dropped or lost while they or Maintenance are servicing rooms or as was said, doors are briefly left ajar - anything can happen. People feel personally wronged when their stuff disappears, but the notice on the door says the hotel is not responsible, and unless there are unusual circumstances, they are not. Never leave anything of value in your room or your car. If it doesn't fit in the room safe, take it to the G.M. or Mgr. On Duty and ask to have it put in the hotel safe while you are gone. That "hiding it under the credenza" option was ok I guess, until we threw it out for open discussion just now!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach