We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

Cave City, Kentucky
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

We made or first trip to Myrtle Beach this year because of the oil spill. It was my wife and I along with a 3, 14, and 17 year old. We stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club and loved it. Our favorite place was Barefoot Landing. The girls had a blast and my 3 year old loved it as well. We ate at T-Bonz while we were there. The wait was short and the food was good. While we were there I signed up for the TIGERS preservation tour and it was the ecperience of a lifetime, although a bit pricey. We also went to Broadway at the Beach. It was nice, but it was just so big. My 3 year old loved the rides, but we all got tired of walking. We ate at Margaritaville. Although neat I will not go back. We waited 3 plus hours and I paid nearly $100 for cheeseburgers. They were good but not that good. We also ventured to the Boardwalk one night. I did not like this place. It was overcrowded, junkey, and foul language filled the streets. We decided to eat at East of Chicago pizza one night and it was awesome. We all got the buffet and the pizza was great. I highly reccomend it. Planet Hollywood was also reasonable without long waits. All in all the trip was great and we loved the area. The Boardwalk and Margarittaville was our only bad choices. When we go back we will make Broadway at the beach a 2 night destination and we will get to Barefoot Landing a little earlier in the day. My only regret was not eating at Rioz Brazillian Steakhouse, but we were going to go the last night and had already spent too much money and it averaged $35 a plate so we skipped it. I will be back and i will stay at the Andeson.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

Allamericanjoe, sorry that you feel that way about Margaritaville ... we went twice on our last visit, and loved it, but we made a point of going mid-afternoon, when it was the least crowded, so waited half an hour one time, and walked right to a table the next. I loved their calimari so I have to go back for that! But if I'd had to wait three hours ... well, NOT!

What did your kids like so much about Anderson Beach Club ... how were the water facilities? I'm going to MB next month with an almost 13 yr. old GD, and have not settled entirely on where I will stay yet. Same question ... Barefoot Landing?

That area around the Boardwalk is not very cool, is it? We took our GD through that area, briefly, in the daytime, and it was creepy ...

Thank you so much for your report back to us! :-)

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

This is why I like to recommend the area between 52N and 79th in Myrtle Beach to people asking where to stay.The area in and around the boardwalk brings in a younger and sometimes wilder crowd.Much calmer and quieter in the above mentioned area as it is bordered by a quiet residential neighborhood.

Cave City, Kentucky
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

The Anderson Ocean Club was super nice. In fact the nicest place I have ever stayed. I guess the beach was like the rest of them in the area because we walked it alot. They liked the rooms and enjoyed laying out around the pools just listening and watching others. It was a friendly atmosphere, and we all met alot of people. I'm not big on seclusion so crowds don't bother me. It was definitely not too crowded. I've been to places that were too secluded and kids were bored. I had to confiscate a few pillows that the ggirls tried to sneak home. They were the most comfortable beds and pillows I have ever slept in. The balconies are nice and big with great views, and we were close to everything, but not too close to the Boardwalk. It is kind of creepy.

As for Barefoot Landing, the crowds were thinner and the girls liked the shops better. Broadway at the Beach was kid of hard to keep up with each other, but at Barefoot landing this wasn't a problem. We went there so I could sign up for the TIGERS Preservation tour, and for $50 they all got to get an 8 by 10 holding a baby Tiger and a monkey. They loved this and have posted their pics all over facebook. I couldn't afford to take them all on the tour. It cost me $300 to go alone. I loved it though. Barefoot Landing isn't nearly as large as Broadway either. We tried to do everything at Broadway in one night and it was tiring. I do wish we would have went to the IMAX but there is just so much to do in a week and we didn;t get around to it. I would have liked to have ventured south toward Garden City one day but I didn;t get around to it either.

I really liked the Anderson. I spent a couple of hundred over budget for it but it is fairly new and very well kept. All granite kitchens and flat screen TV's in every room. Rooms are big too.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

Thank you for your detailed reply, Allamericanjoe! Anderson really does sound nice, as does Barefoot Landing. We haven't been to Barefoot Landing ... only Broadway at the Beach (loved Ripley's Aquarium there). The problem is always too many good things to investigate, too few days, isn't it? We are booked at Dunes Villages but don't know if we'll keep those. We'll be there four nights, and I wanted their lazy rivers and water slides for DGD ... She's growing up so fast ... don't know how many more trips she'll want to do with the Grands! :-) Need to make the most of them ... A couple of people have said that Dunes water stuff may be too young for her, though!

Thanks again ... hope you will get back again soon!

Edited: 24 July 2010, 22:06
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

Thanks for the trip report!! We haven't been getting enough of them. Great that you had a good time and like Anderson.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

We went to Barefoot during the day and it was much less crowded than at night, although it was not too crowded at night. We took the family picture with the monkey and the ltiger Cost $80 but it was well worth it. I saw all the pics that they took and I think I had the biggest grin of the family. I wasn't as excited about the monkey as the tiger until the monkey sat in my hands and wrapped its arms around my neck. I'm not one to buy those overpriced pics, but this one will be framed and put in our living room.

AAJoe, what was the nature preserve like? I heard the price and was wondering what kind of contact you had with the animals and what type of animals were there. I might have to save my allowance for next year:)

Cave City, Kentucky
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

T.I.G.E.R.S tour was definitely not for everyone. First of all it is expensive. It was $200 bucks plus another $125 for the CD with all of your pictures of you and the animals. I would not go without getting the CD because it is priceless. I have had all of my photos developed (a couple of hundred) and they are amazing to show off..

The tour: You do not get an address just some sketchy directions. You don't even get those until you pay. You meet in the middle of nowhere and park on the side of a gravel road in front of a big steel gate surrounded by woods. Signs posted tell you to remain in your car. There was a small group maybe 15 vehicles there. Finally someone comes from beyond the gate and tells everyone to drive in and park on the grass. The gate closes. You go to a lodge and get some info and rules. You have to sign a release and actually write out a sentence that says you are fully aware you could be seriously injured. Two people left and did not sign. They then bring out some big cats on dog leashes. You get to sit in front of the Liger. You walk a little not too much. You get an hour or so to sit in an area where they bring various small cats and baby cats for you to play and interact with. This is awesome, They also bring young wolves. Then its off to more walking and looking at huge cats living in a forest seperated only by a chain link fence. After some of this you get to play with apes or monkeys. You also get to touch and feed a huge elepahnt. They then do a show in the water swimming with tigers and you see it from a glass wall in the pool. After the tour you go back and everyone has their own laptop to choose their favorite picture and you get an 8x10 to keep. If you buy the CD you get hundreds of photos of yourself holding tigers, wolves, monkeys, a bear cat, plus pictures of all of the large animals and pictures sitting about 4 ft from a liger with nothing between you.

Overall i would have liked to had a little more freedom playing with the tigers but I understand they are dangerous and the guides limit what you can do. You will get dirty and maybe even pooped on. At first I thought maybe it was too high. However, I love animals and watch all of that stuff on TV. When I got home and got my pictures developed I was more than satisfied. I then realized no other place offers this kind of experience, and I was glad I paid for it. I think I am going to go back and take my dad.

That was my experience, I hope this is helpful.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

Thanks for the review of the tiger preservation. I actually have money set aside for this and have been debating whether or not to do it. I hate to spend the money, but it just sounds really cool. My fiance and I love animals and he would like it as much, if not more than me. I read a review that said that all the babies do is run across your legs. Do you actually get to pet them, or do you just try to pet them as they run by? Would you say it was worth the money?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

AAJoe, that sounds like an amazing experience. I really love the bg cats and always watch those nature shows on TV. I agree the CD is a must if you do the tour. I'm still laughing at the pre-tour ritual. Only thing missing is a bag over your head so you can't see where you are going.

ArabellaA, I think you may find that the lazy river and other water things at the Dunes are smaller than you expect. We stayed at the Prince in NMB (nice place) and they had a lazy river, but it was very small. All of my kids (15, 11, & 7) quickly grew bored with it and we spent a lot of time at the beach. Try to see some pictures of the river at the dunes before you make a decision based on the "water park" on-site.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our first trip to Myrtle Beach - Do's and Dont's

Thank you, Gregg! The only place we've stayed there in MB is at the Sea Watch, and we wanted to try something different. You wish you could talk with someone who've stayed at ALL OF THEM! Not happening, huh? Thanks again ... :-)

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations