We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to SC in a week

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to SC in a week

Hello,

Our family is traveling to NC, SC and VA Beach,

We know very little about the area. I bought frommers and am going to read today, however I find much better results from the forums in trip advisor.

We are traveling from Boston end July/beginning August for 10 days. Starting out in Wilmington NC for 3 days/2 nights. Off to Myrtle Beach for 3 nights/4 days where we will be staying on the beach. Then we go to VA for 3 nights/4 more days. I really don't have any idea what we are doing. We will go to Bush Gardens at the end of the trip while in VA beach, that much I do know. My husband likes history so I thought Wilmington might have a few sights there (I know the boat is there, the name escapes me currently) and I think it is Wrights Beach there as well, not sure of any other sights to take in. Have no idea where to eat. We are traveling with our teenagers 13 - 16 years of age. I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations as to sites, activities and restaurants to visit. Not so much the touristy restaurants. We really enjoy casual family places and pubs (where the locals go).

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Patty

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to SC in a week

"That boat" in Wilmington is the USS North Carolina. ;-) Have your husband go as early in the day as possible ... it gets very hot and humid this time of year here, and we've had a freakishly hot summer so far.

Don't miss the BlueWater Grill on Wrightsville Beach! Our favorite there ... http://www.bluewaterdining.com/home.html

What hotel are you staying at in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, and in Myrtle Beach? Be back to help more later ...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to SC in a week

We are staying at Fairfield Inn & Suites in Wilmington/Wrights Beach, NC.

The Hamton Inns & Suites Oceanfront in Myrtle Beach 1803 Ocean Blvd, south end.

The Hampton Inns & Suites in VA Beach, 1101 Atlantic Avenue @ 11th Street.

Do you know any of these? If so how are they/location/etc.?

Thanks,

Patty

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to SC in a week

The Hampton gets very good reviews. Just a short drive south is Murrell's Inlet. Great local restaurants & a marshwalk. http://www.murrellsinletmarshwalk.com/

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to SC in a week

ok your hotel in MB will be fine should be nice.. plan on doing driving while in MB if you want to take in the sights because MB is very spread out.

I have to 2nd Murells Inlet.. you can eat, walk the Marsh Walk, take in some sights (not touristy) and hear some music all at once

The "boat" you are speaking of is the USS North Carolina.. and Im pretty sure you are going to Wrightsville Beach (not just Wrights).. the Wilmington/Wrightsville beach areas have plenty to do so you shouldnt have much of a problem there. A little research on the forum for them and you will probably get directed for things you might enjoy.

good luck

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to SC in a week

Did you consider the Residence Inn/Landfall in Wilmington? The Fairfield is 5 miles from the beach, but the Residence Inn is only a mile from Wrightsville Beach, just across the bridge. It has a pool with a tropical feel, the units are very roomy, and you get free hot buffet breakfast, and sometimes food at their "free socials" in the evenings ... Just a thought ...

marriott.com/hotels/…

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to SC in a week

A history themed day trip out of Willmington. Maybe an hour from Wrightsville. Down the east side of Cape Fear River. Down through Carolina and Kure Beach areas. Dead ends at Fort Fisher. Civil War site. Part of Civil War you seldom hear about. Pretty decent display in the welcome center and enough of the fort left to get a feel of what it was there during the war.

Mile past the fort is a ferry over to Southport. Outside of Southport is Brunswick Town. Village established there long before Revolutionary War. Burned and destroyed during the war and then rebuilt as Fort Anderson during the Civil War.

Shell of one building still standing. Several foundations uncovered through the years. Earthworks from the fort still intact plus a good welcome center/display.

Would make a long day longer but might fit in a trip over to Bald Head Island. Another ferry out of Southport. Would take some research to syncronize the ferry schedules. Bald Head is best known for it's lighthouse. Motorized vehicles are restricted. Either rent bikes or golf carts to get around the island.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to SC in a week

Thank you very much. Much to think about and look into.

Thanks again,

Patty

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to SC in a week

Thank you so much, will do.

Patty

Boston, MA
Level Contributor