We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

New Jersey
Level Contributor
376 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

If you ain't passing someone, get your butt in the right lane and don't block up the highways..

Nuff said :)

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

Problem is, folks that need to be reading this don't read. There are even billboards in North Carolina with your reminder. Almost as frustrating as people who text and drive!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

That is my biggest beef ever. I've had to spend more time than I care to think about on I95, and cannot understand why people get in the left lane, and don't go the speed limit.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

You'd think they would get the message when there is finally a chance to pass them on the right and half the highway shoots around them giving them dirty looks. They just seem oblivious. I even saw people hauling big boats/trailers in the left lane yesterday. Then they try to speed up so they don't have to move over and the trailer is swaying dangerously. I think they feel that as long as they are doing the speed limit, nobody should be going any faster than them.

If I were a trooper I would target these people rather than the speeders as they probably cause more accidents and problems.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

Confession time...

In Ohio, I was in the passing lane stuck behind someone who decided to make the left lane their home. They were going about 2 miles over the speed limit and wouldn't budge. An endless chain of cars was stuck suffering behind them. Did I pass on the right? Nope, no chances. I created a third lane and passed them on the left shoulder, as did a dozen cars behind me. Some folks should have their license cut in half on the spot and have their car towed.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

Good for you.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

I've been driving trucks for 36+ years. I've seen a little of bit of everything through the years.

Won't get into a P------ contest over this but will say I disagree with all of the above statements.

A person driving wrecklessly while going well over the speed limit has an accident and people think it's the fault of people obeying traffic laws. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

ok just a couple comments on this one.. if they are going really slow in the left lane GET OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! until this year we had a large vehicle that was usually very intimidating to see coming in ur rear view mirror lolol and people usually get out of its way...

now chubbytraveler that was crossing the line even for me... I like getting down the road but not at that risk... and in Ohio where 60-70 % of the state has a 55mph speed limit.. had you gotten pulled over for making ur own land your probably would not of gotten off with just a ticket... just saying..

I do wish people would pay more attention on the highways, how fast or slow traffic is going how they are fitting in with traffic get out of the way if you dont want to go that fast but dont be an idiot either and go 90 you really wont get there any faster... and please dont text and drive... talking on the phones is a distraction enough and half the people talking have a hard time paying attention to whats going on around them while they are yacking..

Be careful everyone!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

Pop, nobody is condoning driving wrecklessly. I think in many states you are to keep right except to pass. Drving at 65 in a 55 zone is not wreckless unless you can't drive to begin with. In that case, you shouldn't be on the road anyway. A lot of places have unnecesarily low speed limits to generate revenue on tickets. It doesn't mean it is not safe to drive faster. I'll take my chances on geting a ticket if I get caught, but I will always drive safely.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,517 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

I agree with GreggNJ's original post....after passing in the left lane...please move back over into the right lane. That is the law! My daughter has been studying for her learners permit...and this topic just came up. WHen we have been driving on a 4-lane road and someone is driving in the left lane...and obviously not passing anyone, just hanging there....she asks me why they are doing this. "'cause, honey,...they are stu... no..idio....no....."sigh" because they did not read that chapter of the driving manual!"

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,517 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Myrtle Beach? Improtant PSA

but GreggNJ....I DO disagree with you on "A lot of places have unnecessarily low speed limits to generate revenue on tickets"

Ummmm.....no, not true!