We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

We are planning on going parasailing, doing a private dolphin jet ski tour, and going on the T.I.G.E.R.S. preservation tour while in Myrtle Beach next month. These are activities we have never done. Do we tip the guides? If so, how much do you usually tip?

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

I'm always shocked when I see a waiting open hand at the end of a tour or activity. If the staff has done nothing "extra" for you on the trip, I say no tipping. It's getting to the point where EVERYONE is trying to squeeze a little out of you after an activity that's already costly.

A few examples...

Our first trip to MB we rode on the large Sea Screamer boat tour. Some passengers took advantage of the deck hands offers to buy sodas and such. They didn't do anything for me, so no tip sir, but good luck to you when you return to college. (The captain was nice enough to announce this detail to the boat.)

At the end of a beautiful wilderness Ducks Boat tour in the Wisconsin Dells, the guide stops the vehicle, turns it off, and hands out postcards and history booklets. As we sit silent in the woods of Wisconsin he explains that he's a college student and makes a great deal of his income through "donations" for these items. I handed mine back, no thanks buddy, but you're a great guide.

The same happened at the end of a tour on the Carolina Safari in MB. There was the uncomfortable "waiting for a tip" pause as the guide helped us disembark the jeep. Huh??

I'm not cheap. I tip 20% or more at restaurants. Let your wallet be your guide. These activities cost a decent dollar to do. Unless you KNOW you're getting special treatment, I vote no tip.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

I totally agree. I am so SICK of everybody wanting a tip. I don't mind tipping in restaurants because you pay for the food and tip for the service. The waitress does everything for you. I have a problem paying for a service and then tipping for the service too....i.e. hair cuts, tours, shows. All those things you mention. Everybody wants a tip. How about tipping the customer for using your service?

Circleville, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Excellent replies guys! I feel the same way. I am not afraid to tip well at a restaurant according to level of service but some of these attractions are a bit ridiculous. I feel if someone really goes above and beyond and really impresses me then I will certainly tip. For instance, my wife and i took our 8 year-old special needs son parasailing at Bobs Watersports in NMB. The 2 young gentlemen on the boat really accomodated his needs and took extra time and care. We were very impressed and were sure to tip them well!

I say if you feel they did something to deserve a tip, other than just doing the job they are paid to do, then by all means tip however you feel accordingly.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure what the norm is. The activities and tax cost a lot as it is without adding more money for a tip. I have tipped the men working on boats that fillet the fish I catch, but I just wasn't sure for regular activities with no extras.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

I think tipping is really getting out of control. Take Broadway at the Beach for example. Nothing like seeing a tip jar at an shaved ice stand for what?? Because you made me something I paid for?? I think it is getting out of control. Every vendor or shop has a tip jar with bait money in it. If someone goes above an beyond, I have no problem giving them a tip.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

When they shamelessly ask me for a tip, I give them one:

"Learn to earn your tips, rather than begging for them."

Last time I ate at a breakfast buffet, the guy making the omlettes was rattling a tip jar at me....well, if I'm expected to tip him, why should I stiff the various cooks that prepared the rest of the food (or the people that brought it out from the kitchen, or the Sysco delivery guys, or their suppliers, or the farmers that grew the food, dishwashers, cleaning staff, & on & on......)

While I'm ranting, why on earth would a buffet restaurant insist on tacking on a 18-20% "gratuity" for bussing your table? Read the fine print on those coupons, folks.

7. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach