We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about water in the ocean.

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about water in the ocean.

Just returned from Myrtle Beach where we have spent 2 nice weeks. The only problem we had it is the water in the ocean. 2 kids had a rash. I need to run into the shower after 5 minutes in the water, because of terrible itch I couldn’t stay. Has anyone had the same experience this summer and what it could be? I’m not allergic person.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 19:11
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about water in the ocean.

Could be sea lice, if the water is warm enough, they can be a nuisance.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about water in the ocean.

In 50 years of going to Myrtle Beach, I've never heard of sea lice being a problem. Has anyone else ever experienced them here?

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about water in the ocean.

Have been there multiple times per year for 12 years now and have had no experience like that. Were you near a "swash" or drainage area. Sometimes after heavy rains there can be contaminated runoff, but usually signs are posted to stay out of the water for 200 yards or so of the outlets.

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about water in the ocean.

Ive never heard or experienced anything like that in over 30 years.

5. Re: Questions about water in the ocean.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 08:59