We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic

We are going to Myrtle Beach Sept 19-24, what are our odds of a hurricane?

I am assuming most hotels give you a full refund if a hurricane hits the area right?

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane?

It's hurricane season. There is no way to predict what might happen weeks from now. We go every year in late August -20+ years now- no hurricane yet.

As for refund? Ask your hotel what their policy is. I never assume anything.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane?

You can only get a refund if they have a mandatory evacuation and then only for the portion of time you are kept away. Some places may have slightly different policies so you should check to be sure. I don't see how anyone could predict chances of a hurricane striking any particular location for any given time. Will hurricanes strike MB? Sure they will but when no one knows. I'm sure statistically Sept is a greater risk than July or August but it could be 10, 20, 30 years or more before a hurricane actually strikes MB again. Just enjoy your trip. If there are storms brewing out in the Atlantic keep an eye on the forecast but until they call for an evacuation there's really little you can do.

Level Contributor
1,687 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane?

We went a few years ago when they were predicting a hurricane. It was dead when we first got there - but weather was fine. Then as the storm burned itself out before hitting land - well lets just say first week in September and it was well into the 90's everyday. By the weekend people were swarming in for the weather change. So like said above just watch the forecast and be aware.

4. Re: Hurricane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 07:48