We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

I will post this in a reply.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

We flew Direct Air and had no problems at all. I will definitely fly with them again. We arrived in Myrtle Beach at 10 pm on September 9. I rented through Enterprise, and there was no line. I was told I could have a free upgrade to a Lincoln, but I declined. I drive a small car at home and am not comfortable with a big car. The smallest car they had was a 2011 Toyota Camry. It was a nice car.

We then went to the Walmart on rte. 17 past Main Street. They were redoing the whole store and the employees had no idea where things were moved to. Walmart did not have any beach chairs. I was really surprised at the price of groceries. I thought it would be less expensive than Massachusetts, but the prices were comparable. I figured the prices were high because it is a tourist area.

We checked in at Towers on the Grove around 1 am. We were the only ones at check in. We rented a 2 bedroom deluxe ocean front and we were given a corner unit. It was absolutely beautiful!!! I don't know what all the bad reviews are about, but it was nothing like I had read about. I will give a detailed review with pictures in the hotels review section.

These are the places we ate at:

Basil's Pizza - the pizza here was very good. We sat outside. The prices were reasonable. There were 6 of us (my boyfriend's friend and his family came down for 3 nights). We had a couple pizzas, buffalo wings, greek salad, and drinks. I don't know what the total bill was because my boyfriend's friend paid the bill. I would recommend going here.

Duffy's Seafood Shack on Sea Mountain Highway - We had bbq chicken, a couple of crab sandwiches, fried oysters, hushpuppies, and a couple of kid meals and drinks. The bill was around $85. We were all happy with the food. I would go here again.

House of Blues at Barefoot Landing - We had a couple of pulled pork sandwiches, cheeseburger, fried oysters, a couple of kid meals, drinks, banana bread pudding, and key lime pie. They gave me a free dessert for my birthday. The bill came to $96. The food was ok. I really liked the banana bread pudding. I don't think I would go back here again. I thought it was a little pricey.

Food Court at IGA - We had a couple of fried chicken meals that came with 3 sides and drinks. We didn't want to go to a restaurant, so we took this back to our room. The 2 meals cost $13. IGA also has a nice salad bar.

Beck's in Calabash, NC - I had the fried shrimp and flounder dish and my boyfriend had the captain's platter, which was shrimp, flounder, oysters, scallops and I think it was deviled crab. We both had a soda and the meals came with hushpuppies. The cost was around $46. I would probably go back again.

Greg Norman's Australian Grille - I had the butternut squash soup and pork chop. My boyfriend had tuna. We split garlic mashed potatoes and corn. I had a soda and my boyfriend had a beer. The cost was around $85. We used a $25 restaurant.com coupon. The food was good, but I think I don't think I would go back. I would want to try another restaurant.

Key West Grille at Broadway at the Beach - We had she crab soup, black bean soup, pulled chicken sandwich, shrimp sandwich, and 2 sodas. My pulled chicken sandwich was very good. It was made with chicken breast. The cost was around $45. I don't think I would go back here again.

Calabash Creamery - we only went here once and I wish we went more. The ice cream here was great! They make waffle bowls too.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

We went on the T.I.G.E.R.S. preservation tour. This was the highlight of our trip! It was worth ever penny we paid! I will absolutely go on this tour again when we go back. We pet a bearcat, played with baby lions and tigers for quite a while, pet 5 month old wolves, held a gibbon, held an orangutan, seen lynxes, adult tigers, leopards, and a liger. If you love animals, you will love this tour. I had a baby lion that just stayed with us while we petted him. He just sat there and the people finally made him go see other people. The orangutan loved my boyfriend. We have great pictures of that. It would just play with his hair, wrap his arms around him, and then flipped his head upside down to look at my boyfriend.

We also did a private dolphin jet ski tour. I am really glad I booked the private tour. We booked through Thomas Outdoor Watersports. Our guide was Robert and he was great. I was the passenger and my boyfriend drove the jet ski. I liked the intercoastal waterway, but did not like riding in the open ocean. It was bumpy, and it was a pretty calm day. We didn't see any dolphins, but I wanted to go back to the intercoastal where it was nice and smooth. Robert said it was our tour and we could do that. The group tour that went out at the same time didn't see any dolphins either. My boyfriend did see a shark swim near the jet skis and I seen a jelly ball. I would recommend Thomas Outdoor Watersports.

I did do the Wyndham timeshare presentation. I wasn't asked when I checked in, but I was asked the next day. I received $100 American Express gift card and $50 House of Blues gift certificate. The presentation was actually pretty good. The presenter was funny. There was no pressure at all. I told my rep I wasn't interested, and he was fine. He said at the beginning that timeshares weren't for everyone. There was no pressure from the manager or the "closer." They all said ok, it's not for you. It lasted 2 1/2 hours.

Towers on the Grove was in a good location. We could walk to the grocery store, gift store, a couple of ice cream places, restaurants, convenience stores, and the beach was right outside the hotel.

I tried grits and didn't care for it. It was better with maple syrup in it. I tried boiled peanuts. I hated those. I also tried fried peanuts. Those were good. You eat the shells and the peanuts. I brought some back. I really liked hushpuppies.

The ocean was really warm. I stayed in until I wrinkled. We went to the beach just about every day. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return. We didn't really get out of North Myrtle Beach. It wasn't crowded at all. Next year I might try going south.

I forgot to mention that we also ate at Atlantis Restaurant. It was ok. This is where I tried grits. I'm not sure that I would return here. We both had eggs, bacon, toast, I had grits and my boyfriend had hash browns, coffee, and orange juice. The bill came to around $18.

Edited: 17 September 2010, 18:55
Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

I love your paragraph about the southern food you tried. Made me laugh. Glad you liked Cherry Grove. Its my home away from home.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

So glad you enjoyed Calabash Creamery. I know the owner and will tell him. He loves a happy customer!

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

Calabash Creamery had the best ice cream I have ever had. I really liked that they had rocking chairs on the porch to sit and eat ice cream. I will definitely return when I go to Myrtle Beach!

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

Glad you had a good time. Have to wonder if we crossed paths last week. We just returned. Stayed maybe three blocks north of Towers.

We were at Basils' and Duffy's during the week and in the IGA sometimes twice a day.

As Wyndham owners we stopped to check out the Towers to see what the confusion was this year. Part of the problem this year was they took it over in April. The group that runs Prince Resort still has maybe three dozen units they rent out at the Towers. Sounds like the way that contract is set up it runs out before next year so next summer most of the confusion will be eliminated.

There will still be maybe 30 units that were bought by private owners when the building was first built. Those will still be private and rented through realtors and VRBO.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

Pops, we probably did cross paths! We were at IGA just about every day! We also walked to the convenience stores quite a bit. We went to Basil's on Friday night and Duffy's on Saturday night.

I loved Towers on the Grove. I couldn't believe that we actually ended up with a corner unit. The only thing lacking was a cookie sheet, but I brought some foil, so it worked out.

I am thinking of trying Oceans One next year. I love the looks of the type 10 and 12 rooms.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

Great review! Glad you enjoed the Towers.

We're going to Greg Norman's on our trip next, but I see you wouldn't return. Why is that?

Which T.I.G.E.R.S. tour did you take?

Thanks

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

I liked Greg Norman's, but I think next time I would want to try another nice restaurant like that. I guess I just didn't find it to be outstanding. We have nice restaurants like that around here that I have found to be better. The service was excellent though. We were seated right away even though the restaurant was just about full. There was only 2 of us, so I think that helped because there were small tables available.

We went to the 50 acre tigers preserve. I hesitated about booking the tour because it was expensive ($199 per person before discount), but I am glad I did. I also prepaid to have a picture taken at the preservation station. At the preservation station they put the tiger on your lap, quickly snap pictures, and take the tiger off your lap. At the preservation, you actually get to spend a lot of time with the babies. Everyone sits in a pen type of enclosure and they brought out 2 tiger babies and 2 lion babies. The babies first walk over everyone and they take pictures. The babies then play together and keep going to people. We had a baby lion just sitting on us for the longest time. The babies play with people's shoelaces too. They also took out three 5 month old wolves. Those were kept on a leash. They were about the size of a german shepard. The wolves were walked around in the circle to see everyone. One of them put its front paws on my boyfriend's lap and licked him on the face. We also were able to pet a baby tiger that didn't even have its eyes open yet. We didn't get to see the elephant because Doc, who is the elephant's trainer, is in Massachusetts for a medieval fair. If we go back to Myrtle Beach again next year, I will be doing the preservation tour again.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Sept 9 - 16 Towers on the Grove

Thanks for the great info! Where did you find the discount?