We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Trip Report 9/04-16

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Short Trip Report 9/04-16

This was mainly a working trip, so a short report. The weather in Sept is perfect, mid 60's to upper 80's and only rained a small part of one day. The crowds were larger than I remember from other Sept trips, the beach was absolutely crowded some days at high tide. We always try a couple of new (to us) restaurants every trip: The Inlet Crab House in Murrells Inlet was very good, the scallops were the "best ever". It is not an impressive place at all as you ride by, but well worth trying. We also went to Franks Restaurant and Bar in Pawleys Island. Much more upscale than the name sounds, Food and service were excellent, a little more pricey than some more well known names but we will definitely go there again. The adjacent property, Franks Outback, with covered outdoor seating and music would probably suit a younger group better, same excellent food. A very good trip other than too much work and not quite enough beach. Only disappointment was that we planned to go to Drunken Jacks on the last night and it was very crowded, hour and 45 minute wait time. Went on down to Lees Inlet Kitchen, went right in and had great food as usual, so not too much disappointment.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

Thanks, nanajayne, for the restaurant info. I'll save it for a future trip! :-) Hope you will get back soon for a more leisurely trip ...

Near Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

We were there from 9/11 to 9/18 and the beach was much more crowded than we expected, too. Turns out there was a Shriner's convention in town which accounted for a lot of the difference, as compared to past years.

Also, we ran into a few families who usually vacation on the gulf - but were "displaced" by the oil spill.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

Yep, now is a great time to be at the beach, and even into October it can be very warm. I agree about the crowds... it seems suddenly the off-season is a lot more crowded than it was even 3 or 4 years ago. Really it's not "crowded", but there are definitely more people. I remember years ago when the beach was quite deserted during the fall and especially the winter months. There would be just a handful of hotels and restaurants open, and virtually none of the attractions were open. But now there are tons of things to do, even in the dead of winter.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

Loved reading your report. I agree all coastal NC & SC towns are a lot more crowded, possibly the Oil Spill in the Gulf - people changed their vacation plans & instead of the Gulf ended up on the East Coast in Carolinas....

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

Great trip report. We were there some of the time you were. Did you stay on the south end? We stayed in North Myrtle Beach and I am thinking about going back next year and staying at Oceans One.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

sounds like a nice quick trip nana....

Im still very suprised by how many people are staying away from the gulf... there wasnt nearly the effect /damage that was first thought.. we had friends go twice this summer once when it was all fairly early on last week of may first week of june and then again in aug and they had no problems what so ever... I know people were nervous but wow...

any way glad you had a good trip to MB

7. Re: Short Trip Report 9/04-16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 06:38
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach