We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

Oceans One 1 bedroom oceanfront is about $119 cheaper than the One 1 bedroom oceanfront at sandy beach Palmetto tower. Sandy beach does have One 1 bedroom oceanfront in the Magnolia tower (older one) for $87 cheaper than the newer Oceans One of 1 bedroom.

My questions is which one should I go for they seem almost all equally the same unless someone who has stayed at both can shed some light.

Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

My family and I have recently stayed 7 nights at Oceans One. We rather enjoyed out stay, check out our review of Oceans One. We also were in the same boat you are in…deciding between the two resorts. For the most part they seemed very alike (especially the parking…which was not an issue at all). Sandy Beach seems to have a slightly larger pool area. But we chose Oceans One because it seemed newer, we were traveling with a 1 year old, so we liked that Oceans One was a little smaller and they were more tiered toward families. If you have any questions about Oceans One just send me a message.

ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

Thanks, does anyone happen to know which resort has more rooms? The reviews for SB are way better but, for some reason I seem to like the pictures for OCO more.

Anyone else have away to help me decide. I am thinking if one has less rooms, i would rather stay there unless the number is not really enough to make a difference.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

We have been staying at the Sandy Beach for several years now and like it. From my observation I would say the Sandy Beach has more rooms than Oceans One being it is two large buildings connected together. However, Sandy Beach also has more pool area to accommodate the increased number of guests. From our balcony I was never under the impression that one resort had a more or less crowded pool area than the other. We did get a real laugh watching people sit on those brown loungers at Oceans One after the hot sun had been beaming down on them for a while. A towel to sit on is a must at Oceans One. Never having stayed at Oceans One I can't speak for the condition of the facility or the potential quality of a stay but I wouldn't be afraid to give it a try if we were coming and couldn't get a room at the Sandy Beach. The advantage of the Palmetto building at Sandy Beach is having a washer/dryer in the room to run a quick load of laundry every so often and also having a dishwasher. We love the convenience of the area.

ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

I do agree the pool area does look bigger at the Sandy Beach, but, I do however think I like the looks of the pool area at OCO resort. OCO seems better priced, for example at OCO, a 1 bedroom OF with WD & dishwasher is $1,222.00 vs the palmetto 1 bedroom at SB runs $1372.00. I know $150 doesn't seem like a lot but, we are already stretching our budget by staying at either. The advantage i do see with SB is we could stay in the cheaper Magnolia OF room for $1166 or go for the Angle Suite- Palmetto tower which looks nice but, I worry about the view.

It will be our 10 year Anniversary so I do want something a little nicer than what we usually get. I do wish one did have a pool bar as that would make my choice so much easier, that is something we would of liked but, I think location trumps that, we can always make our own drinks but drinking is so much more fun when someone is serving you. lol With all that being said anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

McAdoo's is a beach front bar and grill that is right next door to Sandy Beach and would be convenient to either property. I know it is not a substitute for a poolside bar. Personally I wouldn't go for the angle suite at Sandy Beach just to be in the Palmetto building if you don't care about the washer/dryer or dishwasher. We haven't stayed in the Magnolia building since the Palmetto was built but the last time we did the rooms were fine and I would expect they have since been remodeled. The rooms in the Magnolia are smaller and like efficiency rooms in older resorts with a bedroom just inside the entry door, then the kitchen and bath area and then the living/dining area with sleeper sofa and murphy bed on the ocean side with the balcony. The Palmetto is more like an apartment or condo and has a more homey feel to it. If money were a problem for me I wouldn't hesitate to take a Magnolia room if I needed to. I can't say from experience but I doubt you would be disappointed with Oceans One either as it looks very nice.

ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

After reading all the reviews for both still leaning toward the King oceanview in the Palmetto building. The reviews for the Magnolia tower at SB just are not that great, and pictures are not that great IMO. I guess I might give up the view for a great room.

OCO has a few reviews about dirty rooms and bed bugs and the resort seemed not to care about the problem from what the posters claimed.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

Unfortunately bed bugs can be a problem anywhere and they plague properties from flea bags to 5 star resorts. Now days one should visit the room and look for evidence of the critters before ever taking any personal possessions into the room. If you find evidence point it out to the front desk and ask to see a room on another floor. There's even a bed bug registry that tracks reports of bed bugs by hotel from guest reports. Of course anyone could make a fictitious report if they had a gripe with the property for any reason and wanted to harm them. I suppose multiple reports from different people might be a good indicator of a real problem. I didn't see Sandy Beach or Oceans One on the report. Note there are some highly touted MB properties on the list though.

http://bedbugregistry.com/

ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

Thanks, and yes i realize they can pop up anywhere. Believe me, we travel about 3 times a year and i always tear the room apart before we settle in. LOL

Still trying to decide. Oh what to do? I may just have to have a coin toss. LOL

ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

You have been a great help. Is this McAdoo's family friendly? Could I bring my DS 7 in there for a bit to eat? Thanks

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandy Beach Resort vs Oceans One?

McAdoo's during the day might be OK for kids but the live band at night is too loud for young ears in my opinion. Besides it becomes much more of a bar at night.