We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ansonia, CT
Level Contributor
129 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

We are thinking about going down to Myrtle Beach towards the end of May 2011 and stay at a friends colndo. We stayed down there a few years ago for 2 days so we really didn't get a feel for the area. Other than the beach what else is there to do within a 2 hour drive? We like historical sites, plantations,antiques,shopping,small towns,big cities. Thanks for your advice! Rich

Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
920 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

Charleston 1.5 hrs to the South. Wilmington NC, 1 hr. to the north. Both are offer a good diversion with historical sites.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

Charleston Tea Plantation near Charleston and Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach comes to mind. Charleston, Pawley's Island and Georgetown are all interesting.

http://www.bigelowtea.com/plantation.aspx

http://www.brookgreen.org/

3. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2011, 14:47
Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

I definitely recommend a day trip to Charleston. You could spend a week there but if you only have a day, go to the Charleston City Market and take a carriage ride and then walk around and have lunch, etc. Leave early around 8 and you'll be there by 10 and you'll have plenty of time. If you need more specifics, feel free to pm me and ask questions.

Ansonia, CT
Level Contributor
129 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

Thanks everyone!

Pittsburgh, PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

Are there any big amusement parks within 2 hours of Myrtle Beach, SC

Ansonia, CT
Level Contributor
129 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

from what I remember there is one near the outlets but I don't remember the name.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

Closest is Carowinds just south of Charlotte which is nearly a 4hr drive from MB.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

Unfortunately the new amusement park that was built in the past few years initially called Hard Rock Park and then another name is in bankruptcy. There's some rides from the old pavilion area at Broadway at the Beach. There's also some rides at Family Kingdom on South Ocean Blvd. They are in the process of building a beautiful new high rise ferris wheel along the new boardwalk but I'm not sure it will be operating when you're there. I believe it opens the last weekend of May but I could be off.

10. Re: Myrtle Beach ..other than the beach within 2 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations