We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price Comparison

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Price Comparison

There has been some posts recently about high rental prices.

I received a brochure yesterday from El Coronado resort in Wildwood N.J.

The July 5th to Aug 27th time period rents for $3213/week before taxes for a 3 bedroom unit. A similar resort in Myrtle Beach would cost about $2100 before taxes.

A 1 bed efficiency suite goes for $1904/week before taxes.You could get a similar room in Myrtle for about $900 less.

And that is why I have said Myrtle Beach is a bargain.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price Comparison

Agree, Tonymik, prices in MB are much cheaper than NJ. We usually stay in Avalon but the rents are outrageous this year.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price Comparison

I agree completely. In addition, the amenities at many of the resorts can't compare to even Myrtle Beach's "run of the mill" hotels/resorts. When we stayed at the Jersey Shore ( I think it was Wildwood or Wildwood Crest) the pool in our "resort" was closed by about 8 p.m. This was in June! It was like a ghost town,

canada
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price Comparison

Hi Tony:

I think most were comparing apples to apples rather than apples to oranges.

You can make any price comparison from all over the world, but what most are looking at is a MB to MB comparison.

If I paid $1400 for a rental and now the same rental is $3600, then some may not consider that reasonable.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price Comparison

Well then, let's talk apples to apples literally:

If I buy apples at at a certain price one year and expect them to be the same price a year or two later, the grocer might consider ME unreasonable.

If I complain, the grocer might say "that's what I need to charge; if you can find a better deal, go for it." And you can bet he knows what his competitors are charging for similar apples.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
381 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price Comparison

Absolutely no question about it, tonymik. The rates along the Jersey shore, as well as in Delaware, are extremely steep, and a person definitely does not get their money's worth. The resorts are not as nice, and are very often kind of run-down. Also, there is not nearly as much in the way of entertainment as there is in Myrtle Beach, so even if the rates have gone up in Myrtle Beach as compared to last year's rates, it is still the better buy.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price Comparison

every year for the last 7 we have spent Memorial weekend in Ocean City MD. We have stayed at either the Holiday All Suites on the Boardwalk or the Hilton. The rates would be approx 4275-300 per night for a 1 bdrm suite. While both are very nice they do not compare to the Royale Palms where a stayed last year in Mb which was 2 bdrm ocean front. The cost at the OC hotels go over $400 per night during the Summer.

canada
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price Comparison

Well I can only speak to our personal experiences.

Of course we realize it is a business and as such they wish to make a profit.

But a jump from $1400 to well over $3,000 in one year seems quite substantial. We are talking exact same week. - oh and the over $3000 is at their 30% off rate!

Quite the expensive apples indeed.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
892 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price Comparison

In my opinion, the way to go is to rent directly from an owner, as opposed to renting from a realtor / hotel. We have rented from the same owner 3 out of the last 4 years, and the price for a 2 bedroom/2 bath ocean front condo has stayed the same.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price Comparison

Fact- During the last 3 years most condo owners in Myrtle Beach operated at a loss. Perhaps the rental management companies are making a profit but not certain of that.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price Comparison

The rental market is certainly not immune from the economy so I would assume that rental income has decreased over the last few years but prices have really dropped so in my opinion now is the time to buy.