We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new hampshire
Level Contributor
302 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

We will be in Myrtle Beach at the end of April. We would like to take the kids (9 & 6) fishing. We have thought about just doing it off of one of the piers, but would also like the option of going on a deep sea fishing trip. We do not normally fish, so this would be a new experience for all of us. Does anyone have any suggestions of place to do this? Thanks.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

Here's a helpful thread to answer your question:

tripadvisor.com/…27941661

new hampshire
Level Contributor
302 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

Thanks.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

You know your kids better than anybody but keep in mind that the tackle used is heavy and unwieldy for a child. Trip duration could be a problem too with even a 1/2 day trip being more than a 6 year old might enjoy. I would suggest looking for a guide that would be willing to use light tackle and go for smaller, more plentiful and easy to catch species and limiting fishing to the inlet and jetty for just a couple of hours. Kids that age have more fun catching fish regardless of size and time goes by quickly when they are hauling them in. Best to leave them wanting more than have them never wanting to go again.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

my guys have been several times and used several of the fishing companies... One time they got all the way out and had to come back because of a storm that was out to sea.. but they were refunded money or given a rain check and even fed free food on the way back in ... other times my son caught a rare type of fish and he and the fish were taken around the boat showing it off... needless to say that was a highlight for him.... but on the flip side when you go out like that it can some times be really crowded you just never know... and you have the ones that .... well some stomachs just cant handle it....

I would have to agree with trying to find something in the inlets or like that.... a good source for info can be the Sunny Day Guide... has all kinds for info in it and can be downloaded...

Good luck

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

We used the Super Voyager out of Little River for a 1/2 day fishing trip on April 6th. We will never go back. They packed their smallest boat with almost 100 fishermen. It was so crowded you had to turn sideways to hold your fishing pole over the boat. The trip was miserable. The captain couldn't find fish, so we moved at least 6 times, and when we returned to dock, no one had a fish to clean. Just terrible...

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

100? Was the boat really allowed that many fisherman? I can understand not finding fish, that can happen to any company. But 100 on a boat at one time? Didn't anyone comment when they boarded as to how that many people would adequately be able to fish off the side? Sounds unsafe unless it was a very large boat.

Glad you posted though as this will be an eye opener for others considering a fishing trip with this company or any other. Ask questions before reserving!

Curious how much they charged? Should have been pretty inexpensive with that many people booked. Hope it was!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

They charged $30, but we had a $3 off coupon...still not worth $27. The boat could comfortably hold 100, but not fish 100. What really made us angry is they had a bigger boat we had to walk thru to get to our boat. They could have taken the bigger boat or they shouldn't have taken so many people.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

oh I forgot to say Captain Dicks was the rare fish, and Hurricane Fleet was the other...

new hampshire
Level Contributor
302 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Pawleys Island...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Would like suggestions on Deep Sea Fishing

i would suggest an inshore fishing trip for the kids rather than an offshore trip. there are plenty of inshore fishing guides in the area that offer these types of trips that target redfish, flounder, trout in the backwaters and creeks around Myrtle Beach. PM me if you would like some recommendations.