We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compass Cove or Breakers

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Compass Cove or Breakers

I have reservations for Breakers April 10th-16th but now I am getting cold feet. We have 2 and 6 YO girls and chose Breakers based on location and niceness of the OF Paradise Tower rooms. Now after hearing negative reviews on the pirate ship I am questioning whether we would be happier with all the different water toys Compass has to offer. Other than pirate ship and a nice lazy river it doesn't look like Breakers has much more to offer for girls that young, whereas Compass has slides and all kinds of water spitting gimmicks. I mean how important is location really? We have a car-couldnt we really experience the stuff around the Breakers area after a one day drive there? We are going out to dinner each night at different places using pre-purchased gift certificates. We will prolly hang at pool/beach for most of the day. How important is the location gonna be? I could cancell and get a room at Pinnacle OF suite for 20 bucks less. I think if I knew the room would be comparable in niceness to the Paradise deluxe suite I would make the switch.

Also another important thing is entertainment-does anyone have any experience to know whether this is better than the other in this regard-I am not a lay out all day guy and would enjoy some cocktails and comedy or live music at the place I stay or maybe even activities for the kids.

I know this is a run-on question but any imput or insight in regards to the matter would be greatly appreciated!

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

We stay at the Breakers but have toured the caribbean. I think you have a valid point for the kids, to switch to Caribbean. Which by the way is not that far from Breakers really. And yes you can drive to everything from either place.

Advantages I know of for breakers - red parrot for drinks and weekend entertainment right at the breakers along with a beach bar right next door, ice cream shop across the street, same with starbucks and papas restaurant.

April will still be off peak so there will be no crafts for the kids. Also not sure if the resort will still have their pools enclosed. The pirate ship never is - but I am pretty sure caribbean is all indoor which would mean warmer.

Given the time of year you are going I think you have to decide between what is better for the kids and what is better for the adults. (ie better water play for kids or better drinks etc. for the parents). Room wise the resorts are very similar.

Thats just my opinion.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

Thanks that is helpful. Funny you mentioned Carribbean because that was the other place we considered. Yet another thing I failed to mention-we are going Sun-Fri so if there is only entertainment on weekends we would miss anyways. Also another thing I was wondering if the slides would be closed between April 10-15? Makes little since to book just because of water slides then have them be closed when we get there-quite dissapointing. I called Carribean and asked and got a rather non-commital answer like they"should be" and "we could probably make it happen". I didnt get a very good vibe. Look forward to more feedback-only have 2 more days to decide before complete deposit forfeiture. Thanks again!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

We have stayed at Dunes Village and they have decent waterpark with slides. The waterpark is enclosed and the water is heated. I have not stayed at either Compass Cove or Carribean, so I am interested in knowing if they are better than Dunes Village.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

Breakers, Compass Cove, Carribean and others are all owned by the same family.

It is golf season and the Breakers is a big golf hotel, so expect to see lots of golfers and some may be having fun, if you get my meaning.

You said you have a car and could drive by Breakers one day/night, if your not staying there your not going anywhere within 9 blocks of there.

The girls will be happier at Compass Cove which will make you happy.

Enjoy the beach

Gary

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

I have stayed at Dunes Village and the Carribbean and I much prefer the Carribbean. I like the location better, the outdoor amenities are better and parking is right across the street instaed of down the block. They both have nice rooms but I really prefer indoor corridors.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

Is the waterpark in Carribbean enclosed?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

The Carribbean does have alot of indoor water features. Large pool, lazy river, kiddie pool with sprays and large pouring bucket and 2 hot tub/jacuzzis

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

My suggestion would be to call each resort with your list of questions.

They may give answers that prompt even more questions. Also, by calling direct sometimes you get better deals!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

Dunes Village is nice but is going to be more expensive.

CC has three lazy rivers (two indoor, one out) all heated. Their pirate ship kiddie pool is outdoors...it is heated, but on the north side of the Pinnacle parking garage, so it only gets sun in the morning.There is also a mushroom shower in the indoor area. I don't think the slides will be open yet. You will find plenty of WARM water both indoors and out at this resort.

I don't think there would be a noticeable difference in the room (vs. Breakers or Carribean). The PInnacle suites are nice and roomy but the kitchenette's are pretty compact.

CC has a restaurant, a bar (the Crow's Nest) on the second floor with indoor & outdoor seating (good food), and a tiki bar by the shuffleboard courts (that may or may not be open).

As for the location, with stroller, you can walk to various restaurants, stores, mini-golf, but not much else.

Your girls would probably enjoy the MarshWalk at Murrell's Inlet.., pelicans roost there and you can also show them the peacocks on Goat Island...maybe eat at Creek Ratz or Bubba's.

Have fun!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compass Cove or Breakers

Thanks for all the tips!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach