We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

10 posts
Save Topic
myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

I am thinking of visiting Myrtle Beach this summer with my family of 5 (kids are 9,7,3) and have been looking online at different resorts. Can someone tell me the difference between the Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach area? We are looking for a medium sized beach front family resort with an awesome pool. Thanks.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

Hello Chicago. If you are like me in Cinti. you are ready for a summer beach vacation. What I have found in my 30 years of traveling to Myrtle Beach virus North Myrtle is that there will be crowds of people in both areas if you go between June-Sept. You cannot avoid it. The beach is wide up at the North end but hardly any shells to pickup. The resorts are mostly hugh with large pools but of course that creates so many people trying to find a spot on the beach, it ruins the views and walks. It's about the same farther south as well. The Hampton Oceanfront resort is on the south end and is wonderful. But it doesn't have a restaurant or snack bar. You will find more sand dunes up north than south, also. Barefoot Landing up in North Myrtle is well worth going to. I would advoid anywhere close to downtown Myrtle from 10th Ave, south. Unless you love teenagers and millions of tourists. My suggestion is to read "Your Trip Advisor" to see the reviews. I have found them very close to be accurate. Remember one thing.....once you get Myrtle Beach sand between your toes, you are HOOKED !! The beach along the whole area is the best walking beach in the world, compared to Florida's panhandle where you sink in the sand.

South Carolina Dreamin !!

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

Always traveled to Myrtle Beach with family when I was a

child. Many years later my husband and I went and we were

not happy!! The whole area is nothing but crowds of people

running over you. The place we stayed had two swimming

pools however both were packed all of the time and across

the street went to have pizza for lunch and stood in line for

almost an hour (crazy). To be honest everything was

overpriced.

North Myrtle Beach is wonderful!

We stayed in north myrtle recenty and loved how secluded

you are. The beaches are better looking and cleaner.

We rented a Vacation House that was located Oceanfront

even had our own swimming pool and furnished kitchen.

Setting on the deck was my favorite.

Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

I have to agree with Christy31. North Myrtle Beach is the best.

Plenty of resturants and places to see. We stayed on the Ocean in a beach house and loved it! I believe it wsa called the Mean C and we went through Elliot realty based in Myrtle Beach. We went in early Oct and not many people at all and the beach was awesome. If you are staying for a while I would highly reccomend going to Charlston for some site seeing.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

You would like North MB better, but the kids would like MB better. Some parts of MB are wall to wall high-rises, while NMB has many more homes and smaller condos than big hotels. Also more for kids to do in the central Grand Strand area. Either way, be prepared for crowds and traffic.

Rockingham, NC
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: myrtle beach vs. north myrtle beach

North Myrtle Beach is definitely more of a family beach, or from Surfside towards Murrells Inlet. Myrtle Beach is where most of the crowd is so noticeable. Both are crowded now year round, but in North Myrtle Beach, if is more family oriented. It has an amusement park, putt-putt courses, several wonderful restaurants, etc., but the crowd isn't as wild there as in Myrtle. In Myrtle, there is more of the teenage and younger crowd, partying, cruising, etc.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach