We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crown reef

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
crown reef

has anyone stayed here recently ?

We are planning a week in aug. It looks nice from pictures but also looks like there are a ton of rooms. I was wondering if it is way too crowded. I was wondering if someone needed to reserve chairs to get a spot at the pool. Or perhaps there is enough. Any info. would be helpful. We've stayed in mrytle beach and love it but are ready to try another hotel. we've stayed at captains quarters in the past. Thanks Lori

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crown reef

Hi Lori:

You're right, it does look great in the pics, and even "in person," when you see it from Ocean Blvd. all colorfully illuminated, it looks VERY impressive. And, yes, it's huge: 514 guestrooms.

Have you read the reviews here? The first ones to come up are the most recent. I think you will quickly see a recurring theme....by most accounts it has faded considerably from it's former glory, but calling it a "dump" seems overboard. Might still be OK if you're not fussy, but proceed with caution.

If you like that area, I'd look at Compass Cove or possibly Coral Beach.

Landmark also has great ammenities yet a little hit-or-miss with rooms (like Captains Quarters). There are plenty of others (like Hampton or Paradise) if room quality is more important than water amenties.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crown reef

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. We were actually going to try the landmark. Water amenities are the most important to us since my kids are 10,11 & 13. I'm not fussy with the room which is why we stayed at captain's quarters for years. But it is time to move on. Thanks again.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: crown reef

Being that water amenities are what is important to you and you obviously you want the south end, like Daddio said, try Compass Cove, y'all will be happy there.

Smile

jgf

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crown reef

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that one out.

North Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
715 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crown reef

I prefer the Compass Cove. The pools are bigger. being the hotel is stretched out, the beach in front of it is not as crowded. It seems like most people tend to sit on the beach closest to the hotel they are staying in.

6. Re: crown reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:23