We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

So I have the age old question: Whats the best way to get there?! Best time to leave, places to stay over, Do we drive through night, etc....BUT we will be traveling for the first time with our 1 year old son! Anyone have experience driving with babies?! Can't decide how to go about this. Our check in is on a Monday so we'd likely be leaving Sunday. Thanks!

Edited: 08 April 2011, 18:18
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,423 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

Its been a long time since we have been there with toddlers...but when our kids were little, we would either leave around 3-4 in the morning...packing the car first, getting everything ready to go...and getting the sleeping child last. They did sleep for a good part of the trip. Or. on other trips...we would also drive for a while then stop at a hotel with a pool, play in the pool and

get a good nights sleep...and an easy drive the next day. I also had

little "grab bags" filled with goodies...new little toys, small book, snacks...that I would hand out....one every two hours or so. Kept them

busy in their car seats for a while.

Having said all that....all our kids were pretty easy passengers. They would play, look out the windows....and sleep during the trip. No meltdowns.

GOOD LUCK!!!

(sorry, can't help you with directions)

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

The key will be getting around the Washington loop (495/95) if you're driving Sunday night into Monday morning. You wouldn't want to be stuck in rush houir traffic.

If you do plan an ovenight night stay, we usually saty in Hopewell VA. Hopewell is off 295 which is the Richmond bypass.

canada
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

When we drive down we stop for an overnight. I always book a hotel with a pool and hot tub. But obviously you have to be arriving at a time where you can use them. I find it helps to unwind from the driving.

As far as your young one, small baggies with snacks, small cooler with juice and milk. (keep juice to a minimum so he doesn't get a sugar high, same with snacks low on sugar and dyes).

A variety of toys would be good. Also, what I have also found on long drives with children - keep the music quiet and mellow, or have specific childrens music that you know they like - but don't get too hyper on.

We stop every two hours whether it is a bathroom break or not. The stretch pays off on the other end. Would be good for the little one also. They tend to get cramped up and sweaty in their car seats.

If you want a good trip while down there, take your time and take the breaks. It will do the whole family good!

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

Great to know...thanks!

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

Do you have a portable DVD player or one in your car? Babies that age enjoy videos as well as older kids. Baby Einstein has a great series of videos geared specifically toward that age group. They are wonderful for long car rides!

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

Thanks for all the info! I never knew D.C. has nasty traffic on a Sunday - that will save a headache or two :) The snack and toy suggestions are great as well. I will definitely be borrowing a portable DVD player!

Beachlady3: When you left at 3 a.m. did you drive straight through? I was thinking of leaving at 3 but stopping at a nice hotel with a pool around noon, and then continuing the rest of the trip the next a.m. - any thoughts?

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

I'd stop overnight somewhere, maybe in VA or NC.

I don't know where Beachlady is from, but leaving from CT, I'm not sure a 3 or 4am departure will help you avoid DC traffic, even on a Sunday, especially in August. I have been in epic traffic on Sundays in the winter months.....as in "you could have walked faster."

You could probably spend hours reading "directions" threads here, and I would plan carefully....timing sure helps.

Have fun!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,423 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

LLH217, leaving at 3 AM we would drive straight thru, with a couple of quick stops. But...we live only 7 hours from MB. If you do stop that early in the day, just make sure the hotel will allow early check in. (you could just hang at the pool until your room is ready)

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

Some folks drive W over to I 81 and go S through VA to NC and then head back E but it's a few hours longer. You will bypass DC though. Good luck.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers - Driving from CT...WITH A 1 YR OLD! Help plz

My advice, if you're up for it, would be to drive all night. When going to MB we would always leave home after dinner and drive all night. This accomplishes 3 things:

1. Your little one will sleep during much of the drive.

2. Interstate 95 north of Richmond, VA is hell. My plan lets you drive this portion in the dead of night when traffic is MUCH lighter.

3. The roads leading from 95 to MB are parking lots if you hit them at the wrong time. Get there early and you'll cruise right through.

The downside, aside from the obvious sleep deprivation, is that you'll arrive in MB too early to check in. Since I did ALL of the driving, my family would be fresh but I would park the car in a shady place and nap while the rest would do some shopping, etc.