We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfside Beach Question

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
740 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Surfside Beach Question

Hi all.

I tried posting this on the Surfside Beach forum, but it doesn't look like it gets much traffic.

I'm renting a condo near 8th Ave and Ocean Drive South for 4 weeks in Sept / Oct. Although we've been to Myrtle several times, I've never stayed in this area, and have a few questions.

Where can i pick up a to-go coffee and newspapers in the morning?

Where can we do our grocery shopping?

What area restaurants should we go to?

Are there any security issues in the area, other than common sense?

Thanks.

Tom

Ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfside Beach Question

Here is a link to a nice map I found not too long ago. We are staying down that way too in August. No security issues. I really like that area a lot. A couple of years ago we stayed in a house there on 6th Ave N and walked down to the pier and ate at River City Cafe. I enjoy thier food. Always have for as long as I can remember. But it was 6 adults and 2 kids walking and never once did we feel unsafe. Surfside's beach is less crowded than MB, but it is still close enough for a quick drive to MB and all of its attractions.

http://www.surfsidebeach.org/attractions.html

On that map there are a couple of grocery stores, and then also a Kroger just north of that map on hwy 17. Surfside is close to Murrels Inlet. Too many good restaurants to list down there. Do a search and you will find tons of recommendations.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfside Beach Question

Surfside is a great area, less crowded than MB. I second ohiofam's vote for the River City Cafe. We go there once, sometimes twice during or stay.

Not sure about the morning coffee & paper.

I think the Kroger you're talking about, to the north is closed. NanaJayne told me about the Lowe's Grocery Store on 544 and that's where we ended up grocery shopping last year. It was a nice store.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfside Beach Question

The Kroger on Hwy 17 north of Surfside is closed, but 2-3 miles South of Surfside, Garden City has a Bi-Lo, Kroger, and a new Walmart with a decent grocery section. It's not a "super" WM, so not the fullblown store.

There's a brand new Krispy Kreme store in Garden City near the Walmart. Their coffee is good, but the biggest benefit is that you can order it with the best donuts in the world - "hot and fresh".

Don't miss the restaurants in Murrells Inlet, including a stroll down the MarshWalk - http://www.murrellsinletmarshwalk.com/. We recommend Russell's in MI for the freshest, best prepared seafood around.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfside Beach Question

Nibils on the pier is gone, but the new restaurant may be open when you get there. I think Latitude 22 is gone also, but I haven't been there in five months. The Village Cafe at intersection of Surfside Dr and Kings Hwy is pretty good for breakfast. Murrells Inlet has many good places to eat and we like Sara J's on Atlantic Ave, which is the main road into Garden City Beach.

Ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfside Beach Question

Thanks for correcting me on the Kroger. I had no idea it closed. Been a couple of years since we've been there. Good to know though!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
740 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfside Beach Question

Thanks to all for your replies.

Tom

7. Re: Surfside Beach Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach