We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
302 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

Taking a September vacation this year and MB (or NMB) has made our short list of places so wanted to ask some questions. From reading through other forum posts, September sounds like our speed.

Travellers will be my wife and I, her mom, and our 18 month old. Bringing grandma for some babysitting wherever we end up going on vacation so mom and dad can have some evenings out.

So, what I am looking for in a place:

1. I see there are a lot of different areas of both MB and NMB. We want somewhere where we can do family friendly activities during the day but be relative close to some bars (not clubs) in the evening.

2. I would like an area of the beach where it is not very crowded as grandma likes to keep to herself, plus want room for baby to roam a little (supervised of course). Plus, just hate tripping over people in general. Are there more private beaches, I guess?

3. I would ideally like to keep it under 1,000 (or close) for the place for the week.

So, would this be possible and where should I begin looking?

Also, if there are other suggestions, I would be glad to hear them.

Any information is greaty appreciated.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

I like the Shore Drive Area of Myrtle Beach. Last year my wife and I stayed at A Place at the Beach III (vrbo #249443 I hope it's OK to post that).

Very clean, nice condo. The only reason that we aren't staying there this year is that we have too many people going down. The condo will accomodate up to 5 or 6 people. we will be staying on Shore Dr at Pelican's Landing.

The beach at A Place at the Beach is quite, it's near the end of the road and across the street is a marsh (no condos or hotels to add more guests to the beach).

Within walking distance is Ocean Annies, a great outdoor bar with live entertainment during the day. There are a couple of other small bars within walking distance.

Just up the road, about a mile or so, is Finn McCool's Irish Pub. Less than two miles from the condo is Restaurant Row (Baron's, Thoroughbred's, Rossi's, Cageny's Old Place, Chuck's Steakhouse, Original Benjamin's, all restaurants that my wife and I enjoy)

When we go to Myrtle, a condo on Shore Dr. is the only place we stay.

Best Wishes.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

I really prefer the strip area of MB. many of the activities are nearby and you can walk to the Boardwalk, Ripley's , Pier, Bars and Resturants and you would be a little more then 1 mile to Broadway on the Beach. I am not sure about the price range but the crowds and prices drop after Labor Day. You should check the Breakers, Camalot, Anderson Club and the Caribbean. The locations are great and there are also other resorts in the area from N 14 th St to 30 thST which may better suit your needs then selecting a more isolated area. on Ocean Blvd. Good luck

Edited: 04 May 2011, 16:27
Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

Listen to lenk, stay between 10th N and 18th N on Ocean Blvd this puts you in the middle between Little River/Calabash and Pawleys Island, which are 2 areas you will wish to travel towards for shopping, sight seeing, dining and whatnot.

Being Sept no beach will be overrun with folks and this area puts you in walking distance to eat, drink, old Pavilian area with it's beach shops, bars, boardwalk/walkway along the beach and a number of attractions.

You can look up my past posts which contain a lot of good information on the area, things to do, restaurants and much more.

Enjoy the beach

Gary

Happiness is the experience of living

a life you feel is worthwhile.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
302 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

Okay, so the strip area it is, I did some searches and for the room type and view we want, it looks like Breakers Boutique Tower might be our best option but I read in past posts that everyone says to go to Paradise Tower, which doesn't seem to have the same room options. Any other hotels I should be checking out that would offer something comparable to the OF 2BR Deluxe 2 Queen Suite that they offer for around the same price but with the amenities that the Paradise Tower seems to offer (i.e - lazy river, kiddie pool, etc...)? Or is the Boutique Tower not that bad after all?

Or, let me know if I am asking for too much.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

I tried three times to reply to your private message, but for some reason it will not go out. Please contact me at alanbolton@windstream.net and we can communicate that way.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
302 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

So, is Breakers North Tower close enough to the action to be worth it? Or would the extra money for andersons or caribbean be worth it? 2 - 3 hundred more for the week?

7. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 13:36
Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

God I hope this site is not becomming a place for self promotion.The area near the Palace is not one I would consider quiet.

Try Beach Colony,Forest Dunes,Long Bay or Southwind.This is an area of Myrtle Beach surrounded by private residences.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

Sorry Bob, looks a little dated and blah.

And you're bound to upset a lot of regulars here by trying to advertise.

A definite no-no on a travel forum. Try VRBO or Homeaway.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potential 1st Time Visitor - Mainly location question

Just read some of past reviews for the Palace and they were the '''worst''' I have ever read. Please people ,stop giving bad advice because your trying to promote your own rental or a business you work for.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach