We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Headed to MB for a fun girl's trip with my cousin, aunt, mom and sisters from 5/25 - 5/31 (Memorial Day weekend) We're staying at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation, which is very close to Broadway at the Beach. We're looking to have good, reasonably priced dinners and going to bars afterwards for fun. I feel overwhelmed with all the options that I've seen--I just need help narrowing it down. We are trying to stay away from chain restaurant/tourist trap style restaurants (Hard Rock, Senor Frogs,etc) Would like recomendations for BBQ, southern food, any american style, and breakfast. We plan on going to Mrs. Fish for seafood, but open to other ideas.

For nightlife after dinner, any suggestions for live music without heavy cover charges? Any place/bars where you can dance other than traditional night clubs? I would love some suggestions to help us plan out our nights! Thanks in advance :)

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
265 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Taste N See is a fairly new southern/soul food restaurant located at 306 Broadway St. 843-360-2847 or 843-267-0567.

I just noticed this artilce and am strongly considering fitting them into my food itinerary while there next week. Pretty inexpensive and they deliver.

I wonder if any locals have tried them yet. Here is a good write up on them.

charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/09/1743996/wan…

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

1st if you got your recommendation from this site, you want to go to Mr Fish,

yes there is a Mrs Fish also.

Taste n See is very good and is in the fundraising book.

There are so many places to enjoy good food, you can go through my past posts which will help you.

Gary

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Thanks! I think we're going to check this place out!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Lee's Inlet Kitchen in Murrell's Inlet and Sara J's in Garden City both have great seafood. Try Village Cafe in Surfside Beach for great diner food. I haven't found any BBQ that's has good as what we have here at home yet. I hear good things about Prosser's (BBQ and buffet) in Murrell's Inlet but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Little Pig's in MB was OK but nothing special. Villa Mare was one of our favorites for Italian but I have seen a few reviews that make me wonder if they have fallen off a notch or two recently. We prefer to stay away from chain food as well when we travel.

http://www.leesinletkitchen.com/

http://www.sarajs.com/

http://www.villagecafesurfside.com/

visitsouth.com/articles/…

http://villamaremb.com/index.html

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Thanks! I think we're going to check out Taste N See. Also, thanks Gary2 beach. I've been perusing your posts. I actually did intend to go to Mrs. Fish. From other reviews I hear it's a hole in the wall and super casual (plastic forks) but supposed to be excellent. Should I reconsider? Any other low key rec's for our first night in (tired and jet lagged)?

To Coaster, thanks a bunch for the rec's!! We're renting a car, so we do plan to visit Merrell's!

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

They are both good, Mr Fish around 34th and 17 business originally opened and owned Mrs Fish on Broadway for many years then sold out, he and his daughter opend Mr Fish a few years ago.

I'm just recommending the original owners and cooks.

Also if you search review on tripadvisor Mrs Fish had 6 reviews and some reviewers are 1st or very low posters for reviews, so I always take that into consideration, Mr Fish has many reviews and is listed at #48 or so, also make note of the bad reviews, 1st time or very low posters for reviews.

Now if you want to trully experence good home cooking, after spendng the day checking out Little River and Calabash, head north on Hwy 9 and about, oh heck you checked out my posts so you know where it is, go to Big E's, Ms Betty and crew will trat ya'll great and for $10 you will walk out happy.

Smile

Gary

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

To address the nightlife- I truly enjoy Crocodile Rocks at Broadway at the Beach. It is fun to watch the dueling piano players as well as the crowd.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Great idea to stay away from Senor Frogs, Hard Rock, Margarittaville, etc... Not sure if you are aware, but you will encounter Atlantic (black) Biker Week during your visit. There will be lots of biker noise and reckless biker driving, so be prepared and be careful.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

While I am also a fan of Mr.Fish keep in mind it is paper plates and utensils. Do not expect fine dining.

For breakfast and lunch try Nibels. On the weekend do a breakfast at Sea Captains House( shrimp and grits on buffet on weekend only).

Hamburger Joes across from Barefoot is a favorite of ourS as is Villa Mare.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant & Night Life Recommendations Needed Please

Other non chain restaurants near where you are staying are:

Breakfast -Akels

Dinner- Joes Bar ( don't let name fool you) , Chestnut Hill,Collectors Cafe and Cagneys.