We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Wheel review?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Sky Wheel review?

I read that the Sky Wheel was set to open this weekend. Has anyone ridden it yet that can give a review? Also, is it possible to make a reservation? Thanks in advance for any info!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Wheel review?

Here's an article from the Sun News on the opening:

thesunnews.com/2011/05/20/2169158/skywheel-l…

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Wheel review?

Exciting news. I want to be optomistic about this new attraction, but, like many Sun News readers who added comments, I have to wonder how many people will ride this again and again?

For a mom, dad, and two kids, it's $40. For a 12 minute ride. Do you honestly think many families will do this more than once a visit?

A thrill ride, like a coaster, has more staying power...excitement seekers will want to ride again and again. But just to enjoy the view from the skywheel? Let's face it, if you're staying on the upper floors of your hi-rise building, you've already got that view included in your room rate.

I sure hope it survives. I'll ride it, but probably once a year, if even that. By the way, there's a $2. off coupon in the Monster book and elsewhere, and seniors (55+) and active military get a $4. discount, that helps.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Wheel review?

Hey Daddio - You make some good points. I suspect many locals will check it out and then never ride it again until their grandkids come back for another visit. ;-) I could be wrong, but I see this being a big hit with a certain age bracket. After the newness wears off, I wouldn't be surprised to see group rates pop-up. If that happens, it has the potential to be the centerpiece for birthday parties, etc. Overall, I think it's got a better shot than HardRock Park ever had.

I don't know their business model, but I suspect locals are viewed as icing on the cake. There are a lot of businesses and restaurants down here that rarely see a local and yet do well. I don't recall seeing anything about a seasonal schedule, but I wonder whether it will be open year-round. I agree that $40/family is not insignificant, but IMO for some kiddies, this will become the highlight of their annual visit, until they eventually age-out.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 14:38
North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Wheel review?

Thanks Coastermeister for the link to the newspaper article, that was very helpful! And thank you Daddio for the info about the coupons/discounts!

The newspaper article talks about the Sky Wheel encouraging foot traffic, but no mention was made of parking in the area. Does anyone know if there is free parking nearby?

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky Wheel review?

I know there is plenty of meter parking, and I assume at certain times meter parking would be free. I know there is a parking garage a couple blocks away.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky Wheel review?

Thank you Sweetiepie!

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky Wheel review?

There is no free parking available until after midnight and the lines will be less crowded then, the skywheel is supposed to stay open until 2:00 AM.

Gary

North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky Wheel review?

My friend and I rode the Sky Wheel just before Memorial Day weekend. We found a metered parking spot nearby (instead of parking in one of the lots that charge $10) and for 4 quarters we got 45 minutes which we felt was plenty. The line to ride the Sky Wheel was not long at all. The ride is gentle and feels much more secure than an open ferris wheel. We had a gondola to ourselves and enjoyed the freedom to move from one side to the other to enjoy the view. The newspaper article I read online (Coastermeister provided the link in an earlier message in this thread) indicated that there had been problems with the sound system as they were preparing for opening, and sure enough when we rode there was no narration or music. The air conditioning in the gondola worked fine though, and the ride itself seemed to be operating as it should--slowly and smoothly. Though the Sky Wheel is not a thrill ride, it is an enjoyable diversion with a terrific view of the Grand Strand.

spring, tx
Level Contributor
172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sky Wheel review?

We rode the skywheel the first weekend it opened. Was definitely worth the money. We got the seniors discount. You could hardly tell it was moving. Their is a panic button inside if you get scared. It was suppose to open at 10AM, but didn't open til after 12N. They did provide us w/ free bottled water. The landshark shop/grill is also nice, which is located just in fron of the skywheel.

10. Re: Sky Wheel review?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 07:18