We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

We've left on Sunday in past trips when the traffic was awful trying to get out of town. We crept along for a few hours - and it wasn't a holiday. This trip, we'll leave MB on Saturday. Is the traffic bad then, too?

TIA,

KC

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

There are different ways out of Town and you can avoid Rt 501

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

Saturdays are AT LEAST as heavy as Sundays. If you will post your general directions, maybe someone can give specific information to help.

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

I'd love help with an alternate route to 501. We drive from NE Tenn, coming in from the east, thru Columbia and Florence. It really often starts getting bad in Florence as we approach the coast.

We will be arriving in Surfside on Sunday, leaving on Saturday.

I'm grateful for any alternate suggestions.

KC

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

If you'll be leaving from Surfside, I recommend avoiding the 501 mess altogether:

1) Hwy 17S to Georgetown

2) Hwy 521 to Manning

3) I-95S to Hwy 301 (2nd exit after you cross Santee-Cooper lakes)

4) Hwy 301 S to I-26

5) I-26 W to Columbia

There are also good variations to this route, but it's the basic Southern route to Columbia. We drive it frequently. You won't be lonesome on a Saturday, but it's a far sight easier driving than 501.

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

Thanks, PawleysDude! Should I reverse this going into town on a Sunday?

KC

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

Sat are as bad as Sundays... if you are on 501

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

It works for us, cattailgal. Will you be coming straight down I-26? We have family in Spartanburg and make the round trip regularly. We've tried all the various routes but now use this one, or slight variations of it, exclusively. You'll have plenty of company on both days but we've never had it back up on us anywhere. The road is 2-lane between Andrews and Manning, but it's good road and moves along well. Your worst worry is an underpowered camper. Watch the speed limits in Greeleyville, near Manning, it can be a speed trap.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

We go 5 or 6 times a year and have found that timing is the key. We plan to arrive in Columbia about 4 PM, stay on I20 until it merges with I95 North for 9 miles then take exit 170 to the right for 5 miles, then left on 76/376 which becomes 501. Then 3 miles PAST Conway we take 544 which dead ends into 17 Bus right in front of Ocean Lakes Campground. If we leave Columbia earlier than 4PM, then traffic is heavier all the way. There is always traffic, but at the time we arrive it is not too bad. Never been "grid-

locked".

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

I come from Indianna and I have learned to never arrive or leave MB on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer. I try to arrive around 11:00 a.m. on any day I arrive. I also try to always leave in the middle of the night when going home. I usually leave around 2-3 a.m. There is no traffic then

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad is traffic OUT of town on a Saturday?

I come from Indianna and I have learned to never arrive or leave MB on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer. I try to arrive around 11:00 a.m. on any day I arrive. I also try to always leave in the middle of the night when going home. I usually leave around 2-3 a.m. There is no traffic then