We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Are restaurant reservations required for July?

We are a family of 4 on our first trip to Myrtle Beach. We are staying at the Caribbean. I know July is one of the busiest times so wondering whether to make advanced reservations or whether it will be easy to go to the restaurants and maybe wait a max. of 10-15 min. and then be seated. We are not big fans of long waits, so if making reservations will help things I will definately make them.

Also, any restaurants that are a "must do". We are fairly flexible both in terms of price and location. We want a variety of both casual and higher end options. The only requirement is that if it is a seafood restaurant, they have either children's menus or options other that fish/seafood. One of my two boys will only eat coconut shrimp, LOL!!!

We are really getting excited now as it's getting closer. Are trying to finalize any arrangements in advance so that life will be easier once we're down there. Thanks to everyone for your help/advise!!!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Caribbean Resort And Villas
Caribbean Resort And...
3,253 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Most of the restaurants that I have visited in MB do not take resevations or call ahead seating. So if you want to avoid the wait you will need to go before 5 or after 9.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Well at least you have the Sea Captains House right next door to the Caribbean. They have a pretty wide selection and I believe coconut shrimp is on the menu.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean Resort And Villas
Caribbean Resort And...
3,253 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Sea Captain's House
Sea Captain's House
5,492 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Your comment about not minding a 10-15 minute wait made me smile.

As for restaurant suggestions you can review my past posts and look for subject lines that match, many have been made by myself and other threads

I responded to, there are over 2,000 places to eat along the Grand Strand, from the local's favorites that most tourists would drive by and not think twice about like Big E's, Ms Betty puts out a fantastic spread on the cheap, to Ruths Chris.

There is mention on past posts of mine of a few restaurants that take reservations but most do not and it is not unheard of that waits from 5;30-8:00 can be 45 minutes, an hour and yes more.

I laugh when people will wait 2 1/2 hours to eat at Margarittaville, they also have coconut shrimp, you get 4 of them with garlic mashed potatos for the low low price of $22.

You can read about Driftwood's and there $4 childrens dinner with 2 sides on my posts.

Enjoy the beach and smile

Gary

"To move forward today, you must learn to say goodbye to yesterday's

hurts, tragedies and baggage. You can't build a monument to past

problems and move forward."

-John Maxwell

Mentioned in this post
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
457 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Expect waits everywhere you go in July. After more than 60 trips, our list of favorites include Driftwoods, Sara J's, Russell's, Lee's Inlet Kitchen, Frank's in Pawleys Island. Chestnut Hill and Joe's Bar & Grill up north on restaurant row.

Mentioned in this post
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island
Lee's Inlet Kitchen
Lee's Inlet Kitchen
756 Reviews
Murrells Inlet, SC
Chestnut Hill Restaurant
Chestnut Hill Restaurant
686 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

A couple of Myrtle Beach restaurants I have really enjoyed that DO accept reservations are the Noizy Oyster on Kings Highway and the Gulfstream Cafe in Garden City overlooking Murrell's Inlet.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Garden City Beach
Garden City Beach
Noizy Oyster
Noizy Oyster
628 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Gulfstream Cafe
Gulfstream Cafe
796 Reviews
Garden City Beach, SC
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Please, go ahead and call ahead just to see if they DO take reservations...or "call ahead waiting" Even if you know a place does not take reservations...they still take

call ahead waiting. (I don't know what the difference is really) We have called ahead at a couple of places....and they sometimes say "we do not take reservations, but I can

put you on the call ahead list".

Just call...won't hurt! And yes...it helps to go early...between 5 and 6:30.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
901 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Villa Romano takes reservations!!!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

beachlady, I have a couple of friends in the restaurant industry and this is what they have told me regarding reservations vs call ahead seating.

Basically, a reservation guarantees you a specific time, and can cost the restuarant a lot of money by holding that table, especailly if you run even a little late (or worse yet don't show). Typically, that is why this is only seen in your more up-scale restaurants that don't get a lot of walk-ins and rarely in tourist towns. The restuarant is better suited to have a full dining room at all times. It can also cause angry walk-in customers if they see half of the tables empty because the restaurant knows that they have that many reservations and the walk-ins would not finish in time for the reservations to arrive.

Call ahead eliminates this as it simply puts you on the list as if you had walked in and tells you that your wait is 1 hour. It is then up to you to get there before that hour (or reasonably close as some places will drop you off the list if you are too late), check-in, and your name will get called in order. This keeps the restuarant full and customers happy as they never have to see an empty table and wonder why they can't have it.

rhode island
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

I've been to Myrtle Beach many times in the summer and we always try to get reservations. If you are going around 7-8 i would definitely call and see if reservations are possible it won'r hurt. Often you can call the day before and get a reservation especially if you have young children. Most of your chain restaurants don't take them.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
151 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are restaurant reservations required for July?

Yes there are long waits in July BUT we hate those lines also and chose to eat early (around 5:00 P.M.) to avoid them. We rarely have to wait at this time unless of course it is one of your chain restaurants. After dinner we still have time to enjoy a friendly war of putt putt or a vast number of family activities.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach