We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

We are heading to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks and want some recommendations for seafood restaurants. We went for the 1st time last year and we not thrilled with what we found. Our criteria is non-buffet and non- chain restaurants that are kid friendly. A couple we did like last year were Sea Captains and Lee's Inlet Kitchen. Thanks for any help!

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Lee's is on our list also, as is Russell's which is a little further south in Murrells Inlet below Lee's. Another that we like is Sara J's on Atlantic Ave in Garden City. A smaller place with very good food is Driftwood's, which is on Hwy 707 in the St James Strip Mall. Lot of locaks eat there.

Mentioned in this post
Murrells Inlet
Murrells Inlet
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Another great place near Sea Captains is Mr Fish on Kings Highway at 34th Ave N. Not the ambiance, but prices are much lower. Also has a market for fresh to-go seafood.

Enjoy !

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Try the Seafood Hut about 30 minutes north of MB in Calabash NC. Just a small place but has good fresh seafood.

Hudson
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Calabash has lots of Options : Dockside and Boundary House

are worth a try. Review their web sites

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Bimini's Oyster Bar and Seafood Cafe is local friendly restaurant opened since 1985 offer great seafood dishes. In my opinion one of the best in the area.

Noizy Oister family owned restaurant has probably the best crab cakes in town, raw and steamed oysters also really good. You can find more local restaurants on this site myrtlebeachbay.com/myrtle-beach-seafood.html I hope this info will be helpful for you. Have a great vacation and enjoy the seafood!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Bimini's should have the name Noisy Oyster as it is the loudest restaurant I have ever eaten at,bar none.Food was good but noise was terrible.I have always felt that if your going to recommend Bimini's do it with a warning that the atmosphere there is not for everyone.

Chestnut Hill might be an option for you.Also two of the best dishes I have ever had were the Grouper Royalle at Drunken Jacks and the Banana Mandarin Grouper at Divine Fish House.

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Bimini's is loud, but it's our favorite seafood place in the Myrtle Beach area.

A new casual mexican restaurant named Nacho Hippo opened in the Market common area - cool place to hang out, good drink specials.

For breakfast places, we liked the Golden Griddle in North Myrtle and Nibil's on N King's Highway.

Wild Wing Cafe' is a good wing / sports bar place, the Mellow Mushroom is a chain but we don't have one where we live so we usually make it to the one near BATB once a trip.

Mentioned in this post
Mellow Mushroom
Mellow Mushroom
666 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Is Noizy Oyster very kid friendly? I have looked into some places and this intrigues me. Although I know there are some great places in Murrell's Inlet, we are trying to stay closer to our hotel (SeaWatch Plantation) since the driving in MB is so hectic.

LONG ISLAND, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

Definately try the Driftwood on 707. I have a house nearby and it's where all the locals eat. It's very clean, super nice waitstaff, kid friendly and very inexpensive if you get there before 6pm on M-F. For around $10 you get a choice of several combination platters, with two sides, best hush puppies around, a beverage AND dessert, Try the scallops UNBELIEVABLE!! It is my favorite place to go. Not touristy, not loud. I would try hitting it closer to the beginning of the week and get there by 5. You will really enjoy it!! Afterwards, take a quick drive to Marsh Walk in Murrells Inlet. Walk along the pier, have a drink at the Dead Dog, listen to some music!

Mentioned in this post
Murrells Inlet
Murrells Inlet
Coastal South Carolina, SC
10. Re: Local "non-chain" seafood recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:19