We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
someplace in the us
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

I've sent a message to a couple of people who I think I might have gotten the directions from, but just in case I have the wrong person I thought I'd repost it here!

A few years ago (I believe 2007) I got wonderful directions from Youngstown, OH to Myrtle Beach. We've used the directions twice and were very pleased with the route. We are going to Myrtle Beach again this summer, but unfortunately can't find the directions anywhere!

I don't remember a whole lot about the directions other than we were on 77 for quite a while. I do remember being on a rural, back-road for a long time (if I remember right the road name changed at some point - maybe when we crossed into SC???) and we really never had any traffic issues. It took us into North Myrtle or maybe just the north part of myrtle beach.

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Melissa

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

A lot of construction has been completed since 2007. There were a number of routes people used then. Last couple years the most common route runs you to Winston-Salem-Greensboro-Rockingham and then couple options to the beach.

I 77 into NC. Few miles into NC...... I 74 will bear off to the left. Follow I 74 towards Mt Airy. Just below Mt Airy I 74 will merge with RT 52 and the two run together to Winston- Salem. (Construction through Winston-Salem. Wasn't bad in May and haven't heard any horror stories since.)

In Winston-Salem you'll pick up I 40 East. I 40 or Business I 40. Either one works fine. Just before Greensboro the two will merge together. Six lanes into Greensboro. Few miles you'll see large sign for split. Be merging left into left lanes. Left side of split puts you onto I 73 around south side of town.

South side of town you'll cross I 85. Next exit past I 85 interchange will be RT 220 / I 73 / I 74 to Ashboro/Rockingham.

South into Rockingham. You'll run onto RT 1 without even realizing it. Maybe a mile on RT 1 to just south of town. You'll see RT 74. Take RT 74 East.

For NMB we run across to Chadbourne. RTs 410 and 701 to Tabor City where you hit RT 9. RT 9 into NMB. Chadbourne to Tabor City will be only two lane of entire trip.

Number of other other options from RT 74 to points farther south in MB. Really depends on day of week and time of day making your approach into MB.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

Why not save yourself some time and all the headaches, fly in directly to MB from the Youngstown Airport. We're going in august and got some great fares.

Columbus
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

We got our directions from TomTom.com and it was a nice drive. Little to no traffic. About 10.5 hours total. In the past we've come up 501 which can get conjested. These directions took us up 701. Much nicer drive.

One comment on the drive back. There is a a freeway split in Virginia that is awful. I can't remember the exact freeway name, but I think it was where 74 and 81 split. You have a 2 lane highway splitting into 1 lane for each road. We were in bumper to bumper traffic for 10 miles. Took us over an hour to get through. Major buzz kill. Not sure if it can be avoided, but if possible try.

I highly recommend a GPS. If you can't buy one, see if you can borrow one. Takes a lot of stress out of the drive and really helps on those winding W.Virginia roads

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

dbold, that terrible traffic bottleneck is at the junction of Interstate 77 and Interstate 81. Its always bad..especially in the summer, late Saturdays.

And really the roads aren't that bad and windying in West Virginia. Interstate most of the way up to Ravenswood.

Hudson
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

Like pops2748 directions. We live in Ohio.

We have used that route since the 80's.

You can pick-up some great local produce in the Carolinas on the backroads of 410 and 701.

Careful in Virginia on I-77 - Major radar - Plus, radar detectors are illegal.

Have an enjoyable and safe trip!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

True about the produce. You'll also find several peach stands just north of Rockingham on US 220. Mmmmmm!

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

we go I 64 to, 77 to I think it s 20 for a few mins then 95 we dont go to Winston-Salem we go thru Charlotte..... from where we are (just the other side of the bridge from Huntington, Wv) its about 8-8 1/2 hours.... now we dont do alot of stopping and any eating or bathroom stops are with the gas stop lolol we didnt used to have to stop for gas and the kids had to beg for bathroom stops if they were awake lolol but since we stay in central MB we just plan leavign to where we are hitting 501 at an off time to avoid as much of that mess as we can...

8. Re: Driving from North Central Ohio to Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 06:16