We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to locate shells

PA
10 posts
Best place to locate shells

Is there one beach that may be better than another for locating shells?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Best place to locate shells

I haven't been to Garden City Beach (a few miles South of Myrtle) in years but we used to find awesome shells at the point there. There are basically no shells in North Myrtle Beach, and nothing great in Myrtle. If you're staying in Myrtle and don't mind a little drive, we often have wonderful, sometimes rare shells on Holden Beach, NC. especially on the far west side.(although there are some days when there's not much) Holden Beach is a very quiet laid back family beach, about a 45 minute drive from Myrtle Beach.

Best Wishes!

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
154 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Best place to locate shells

We visit Myrtle Beach every year, sometimes more than once a year. I've never found any shells on Myrtle or North Myrtle Becah. I've heard that Edisto Island has lots of shells, but not much to do.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best place to locate shells

It depends on what kind of shells you are looking for. Hugh conch shells or whole sand dollars probably will not wash up on any of the beaches around Myrtle. But there are tons of little ones and millions of shark teeth to pickup. The beaches up at North Myrtle, have hardly any. The further south one goes, the better the quality and quantity there is. Around the Dunes Village at 55th Ave. and south, I have found most of my collection. There, the beach and water runs shallow, which allows shells to wash up on the sand. Of course the best place in the world if you are truly a shell collector is to go down to Salibel Island on Florida's West Coast. Even though Hurricane Charley took alot of the area out, last Sept., most of the beaches had little damage. And never go to the Panhandle for shelling as there is none to find there. Just keep digging in the sand under the water, close to shore, and almost surely, you will find something.

good luck

Columbia, S.C.
5 posts
4. Re: Best place to locate shells

Not many shells at Myrtle Beach. I agree with the post about Edisto - it's a beautiful area and more shells. The Charleston beaches (Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, and some at Folly)have more shells than Myrtle.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Best place to locate shells

You can find nice cockle and scallop shells on the Grand Strand, but not much else. If you are a collector, I would suggest Capers Island, which is north of Isle of Palms (North Charleston area). Access is by boat only. A little closer to Myrtle Beach would be Bull Island (below Georgetown). Even these places get picked over in nice weather.