We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

Youngstown, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

Hi, everyone. Traveling to North Myrtle Beach from Austintown soon. I'm thinking this is about a 12 hour trip? Any suggestions on which route to take? Also I figure we will drive about 8 hours and then stop for the night. Any ideas on a hotel along the way? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :)

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

I 77 into NC. Few miles into NC...... I 74 will bear off to the left. Follow I 74 towards Mt Airy. Just below Mt Airy I 74 will merge with RT 52 and the two run together to Winston- Salem. (Construction through Winston-Salem. Wasn't bad in May and haven't heard any horror stories since.)

In Winston-Salem you'll pick up I 40 East. I 40 or Business I 40. Either one works fine. Just before Greensboro the two will merge together. Six lanes into Greensboro. Few miles you'll see large sign for split. Be merging left into left lanes. Left side of split puts you onto I 73 around south side of town.

South side of town you'll cross I 85. Next exit past I 85 interchange will be RT 220 / I 73 / I 74 to Ashboro/Rockingham.

South into Rockingham. You'll run onto RT 1 without even realizing it. Maybe a mile on RT 1 to just south of town. You'll see RT 74. Take RT 74 East.

For NMB we run across to Chadbourne. RTs 410 and 701 to Tabor City where you hit RT 9. RT 9 into NMB. Chadbourne to Tabor City will be only two lane of entire trip.

For Ocean Drive, Cresent or Windy Hill you could take Rt 31 south to next interchange. Robert Edge Parkway into Main Street and Rt 17. Eliminates several stoplights on Rt 17.

Youngstown, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

Thanks for the detailed directions! Much appreciated. Do you happen to know how long the trip actually takes? or have any good hotel recommendations about 8 hours into the trip? I know, a lot to ask, but hey you don't get help without asking!! :)

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

jay, you'll find lots of info if you do a search on this forum for "directions" and/or "hotel stop". We've had many prior threads on this subject with a lot of great suggestions. Most likely stop would be somewhere between Wytheville, VA and Winston-Salem/Greensboro. There are many choices. If you can't find what you want from the prior threads, just ask!

Youngstown, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

Thanks arbyunc! I'm at a loss here so I will definitely search the forum per your suggestion!

Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

We did a similar trip (we are in Michigan) in April and I agree with arbyunc. We stayed in Wytheville, VA. Good place to stop, nothing fancy but there are restaurants close by. We actually stayed in the Comfort Inn and I was suprised at how nice the place was, it looked like the recently remodeled:

comfortinn.com/hotel-wytheville-virginia-VA3…

We got a one bedroom for a really good rate.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

My Mom & Dad just recently (last month) stayed at the Hampton Inn in Wytheville, VA. They really liked it. Great breakfast & very clean.

columbus
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

A-town to NMB is 700 miles and ball park 10 to 10 1/2 hours of driving (depends on your speed and traffic). A-town to Wytheville is 375 miles. 8 hrs of driving will put you past Wytheville and ladn you in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

Time really depends on driving habits. Somebody who runs close to speed limit and makes multiple stops will take longer than somebody pushing the envelope.

Easy pace it's 8 hours from Charleston WV to MB. It's what? 3 1/2 to 4 hours from here to Youngstown. Do the math.

Wytheville would be your halfway spot. Push it a few more hours you could do Ashboro or Rockingham the first day. Easy on and off the highway. Sleep in and have very easy / short drive the second day.

columbus
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

Pop

While it takes some 12 hrs to make the drive the op inquired about, others do it in 11 or 10 - but thats why I noted "driving time" in my post. Some people stop for breakfast, lunch and dinner - since you're not driving while you're sitting at the dinner table, that time is not included in the "driving time". Note the that op in going to NMB and not MB - so subtract a half hour off of your time. Also note that I've made the exact drive the op is talking about for approx 15 years (and never took I-77 to Lugoff route as it was too long/slow).

Wytheville is just a tick over the halfway point (always has the cheapest gas of the trip) and has lots of stop over type hotels. But for a place to shut down past the halfway point of this drive, the sweet spot is Greensboro - lots of accommodation choices in this area. It would be easy to push past Greensboro as that is a nice stretch of road south of GB, but the hotel choices thin out considerably - but that is why there's Google, Garmins and smart phones - do a little research and pick your spot.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route / Hotel Help from Austintown, Ohio to N. Myrtle Beach?

I feel like I just got chewed out for agreeing with ya.........