We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

Richlands va
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

I'm trying to get ideas for meals to prepare while staying at the beach. We will be in a condo with a full kitchen, and grocery shopping when we get there. There will be 5-6 adults, no kids.

When you're on vacation, what are some meals you like prepare?

Thanks, all ideas are most welcome! :)

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

Only pancakes for breakfast, and maybe hot dogs or hamburgers for lunch.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

We have a crock pot. Throw in your favorite ingredients, put on low and off to the beach we go!

Ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

Spaghetti is quick and easy for us...meatloaf as well. Toss veggies in the oven and roast them. You can fry up some hamburgers quickly. Sloppy joes...we usually do lunch meat for lunch if we are in or leftovers. And stick with cereal for breakfast.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

When my kids were growing up we took many vacations other than our timeshare weeks and we always stayed in a condo or house, I found it less expensive than a hotel/resort and we had all the room we were accustomed to at home, why go on vacation to have less than you have at home.

The only meal/s we would eat in was maybe breakfast but we had plenty of snacks and anything else that you may wish to nibble on in the fridge and plenty of drinks were on hand, but I'm on vacation, my ex nor I were going to be cooking or cleaning up after, and being in a new vacation area or even coming back to one we had been to, we always wanted to try new restaurants, we usually did not return to ones we may have raved about, because new things are better than doing the same each time.

Again, everyone has their opinion and many of you go back to the same place year in and year out, I find that by doing something different it makes me happy and keeps me guessing.

Gary

Edited: 01 August 2011, 20:42
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
281 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

spaghetti and catfish with salad

grilled chicken, steak, lamb, burgers, and brats (can grill beforehand and take w/ u if necessary)

cajun chicken pasta

homemade subs, potato salad or cole slaw and chips

pancakes, eggs, bacon, cereal, etc...

and my favorite

LEFTOVERS!!!!!

rhode island
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

We have been traveling to our condo in Barefoot for 7 years. we usually eat breakfast and lunch at home and go out for dinner.We stock up on sandwich makings, snacks ,drinks and breakfast food at the BiLo. we try to eat at one of a kind restaurant and stay away from chains. we are always ready to try new places but still have our favorites.

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

We do almost all our meals in the condo. This year I took my crock pot and it was great. I made pulled chicken a few times. So easy and yummy. Can even make it with frozen chicken!

Hubby loves to cook steaks as well. I also make terriyaki chicken in the crock pot and a casserole. Burgers are also great when at the beach.

Lunch was usually very light, sandwich and salad.

Have fun and it is well worth taking a crock pot!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

Shrimp, shrimp and more shrimp! Grits, grits and more grits! Find a local fish market, and take advantage of the fact that you are at the ocean and can buy the freshest catch of the day. Grits go with everything...for breakfast, just add butter, salt and pepper or for dinner, stir in some garlic and cheddar or Gouda cheese.

I discovered these "Gullah" mixes at Carolina Gourmet in Pawleys Island. If you don't get down to the Hammock Shops, order a couple of bags before you go. They are really good, easy and you'll be enjoying a bit of local cuisine. The directions are half the fun.

http://www.gullahgourmet.com/

Some of these mixes are on Amazon, but you can order direct from the website.

I also keep this casserole going in my refrigerator. It's good hot or cold, and our guests eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's a prerequisite before our guests come down.

SAUSAGE AND RICE CASSEROLE

2 lbs bulk pork sausage

1 cup finely chopped green pepper

¾ cup chopped onion

2 ½ cups celery, coarsely shopped

2 (13/4 oz) Lipton’s Chicken Noodle Mix

4 ½ cups boiling water

1 cup rice, uncooked

Brown sausage in a large skillet. Pour off excess fat. Add green pepper, onion, and celery. Sauté until tender.

Combine soup mix and boiling water in a large saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add sausage mixture and salt to taste. Stir well.

Pour into a greased 13”x9”x2” baking dish. Bake in a 375 degree oven 20 minutes.

To reheat, pour into a large saucepan, add ¼ cup water and warm over low heat

This is one of those recipes that gets better the longer it sits.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 02 August 2011, 16:21
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

Since we stay a month at a time I take everything in my home refrig that will not keep at leaast a month and use that up. We eat out about every other night and have leftovers for lunch next day usually. When we do eat dinner in, we eat pretty much what we like at home. If it is an "eat in" night and do not want to cook, there Is a K&W pretty close to everywhere in MB. The portions are large enough that two dinners to go can feed three or four. The one thing we do eat more often while there is fresh boiled shrimp.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What kind of meals do you prepare at your condo/room?

I would think if you are staying for a long stay then I would probably cook dinner on some nights,however, on vacation I usually have breakfast, some lunches and snacks in and we dine out. I don't find casseroles and crock pots to be very appetizing.