We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

As a relatively new owner in MB my rental income is so far higher then what I was expecting. Do you think that since the economy is bad and not getting better anytime soon that as many or more people are staying in country and heading towards destinations like MB ? Which compared to international travel is relatively cheap. Or are occupancy rates always fairlt stable no matter what the economy is doing?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

People need a vacation now more than ever, and the Grand Strand is one of the most affordable beach destinations in the country. I'd be surprised, however, if the economy is helping much of anything, including MB tourism.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

This is my 14th year of renting, 9 with rental agents and 5 on my own, and my experience has been that it has been very constant. The only exception to me was 2009 which was off a little bit. I am fielding more inquiries each year to maintain the same amount of rentals it seems and guests are expecting more for less. Fortunately I have a majority of guests who come year after year after year.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

I know we hav seen more people than ever camping the last two or three years at Myrtle Beach. I have never seen the campground as full since the recession haas started.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

It depends a lot upon which aspect of tourism you're involved with. It seems the accommodations side is doing pretty well, although I've seen some numbers that indicate length-of-stay is down in places that do not require a full week during the summer. On the other hand, a lot of restaurants and attractions are struggling. Cooking in the condo or picking up pizza is replacing restaurant meals, while many are opting for free entertainment options over tours, water parks, etc. Folks are still coming to MB but seriously cutting back on what they spend.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

Pawleys you are correct, I have made mention a few times about how folks are not spending much money, business is not what it use to be, yes there's a wait for dinner at restaurants, it use to be longer waits and folks did not mind, it was expected. Up until a couple of years ago you did not get discounts for the shows during the season, this summer is heavily discounted.

Times are changing

Gary

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

Gary, most hotels are also offers extensive discounts during the summer months. You didn't used to see speicals during the off season to often but now you see them during the summer also.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

cbr, your right, it's not just the shows, it is the hotels and large ones at that.

Golf discounts have always been available during the summer but way more so this summer and really low Carolina Shores and Palmetto Greens in the Sun News $25 inc cart and can be found even less online.

Gary

Cold Water, NJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

My friends played 9 holes golf for $16 w/a free child and cart included! Can't believe its that cheap now! I'm not complaining for a vacationer's standpoint. Cost of lodging still high but we cook in, 1/2 the time.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

It seems more and more bad economic news is coming out, almost on a daily basis and todays economic news may be the worst, Exisiting homes sales down, consumer prices up, Philly manufacturing down, Global GDP cut by Morgan Stanley, New unemploymnet filings up, etc. Even with these numbers and the merkets in turmoil it seems like traveling to MB has been very strong. I understand people may spend less once they get there but it really seems that MB is a very strong and resilient vacation destination. I am heading down for a 2 week vacation in the middle of Sept and I was just wondering from the people who live and work there what are they seeing?

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Will the bad economy help MB tourism?

I see rain out my window, it just started, it won't last long I see blue skies also :)

It may have been on another forum I made mention that even though the occupancy rate has been good this summer, people are not spending money, like years past.

I made mention recently about all the discounting going on this summer, which should never happen in the summer, there will be a number of businesses that will not make it to 2012, Island Green Golf Course is closing as of tomorrow.

One of the reasons a lot of folks do not go out to eat or spend money any longer, is the area built so many condos which compete against hotels and yes you can rent a condo usually the same cost as a hotel, with all the luxuries of home, including the kitchen.

So what we are seeing is, families coming to the beach in droves, renting higher end units than they should thus not leaving them any spending money to eat out, shop and enjoy all the entertainment the area has to offer.

We have one of the best beaches with the best offerings in dining, live shows, entertainment, shopping and more, than anyplace in the Country (yet most are having some of the worst numbers in years) and as we start to get the word out, in a few more years, a different type of vacationer will start coming here and business will again be good.

I have had to delete a lot of what I wrote, as someone could have taken it wrong, I appreciate all that come here, yet I think folks could learn how to save hundreds of dollars by staying 2nd, or 3rd row for a thousand dollars or more savings, thus enabeling the family to enjoy all that is offered.

Dang I was really on a rant, I can't beleive all that I wrote and had to delete yet it was so true, times and people are changing :)

Enjoy the beach

Gary

"Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is

always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you

will sit down quietly, may alight upon you,"

-Nathaniel Hawthorne