We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
121 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

Where is the best place for fresh produce? I know there are many grocery stores around but I am not a local so I do not know how threy stack up for produce. Also, are there any farmer's markets around? And lastly, where can I get shrimp? We are going to give the shrimp boil idea a try in our hotel :)

(We'll be staying near 6500 N. Mrytle Beach but are willing to drive)

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

When we were down in the summer there was a man selling I believe fruit from out of his truck on a street corner of 17 business. Right near where you are staying if my memory serves me correct.

Try Mr Fish down around 30 something and 17 for your shrimp.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
121 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

I don't know how to edit, but I meant 6500 N. Ocean Blvd.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

Here's a cut/paste on the Farmers Market in downtown Myrtle, please call to verify the info is still accurate as this was from May:

Myrtle's Market 843-457-5618

9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, Friday and Saturday

Mr. Joe White Avenue at Oak Street

Here's a quick list of what's typically available, when in season...

Beans, beets, cabbage, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, turnip greens, lettuce, okra, onions, peanuts, bell peppers, potatoes, summer squash, tomatoes, turnips, zucchini, apples, cantaloupe, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, flounder, shrimp, goat cheese, carrot cake, annuals, perennials, bedding plants, barbeque sauces, maple syrup, honey, jams and jellies, molasses and homemade products

Mr Fish is at 34th Ave N and Kings Hiway (Rte 17). Great little restaurant/market with varying seafood specials, but shrimp is always available.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

If your going out and about for sightseeing, head down to Georgetown and at the docks on Front St there are 2 places to buy shrimp on the cheap, it's like $6 lb, I buy 20 lbs or so at a time and freeze them.

The guys selling on the side of the road have a mix of sizes I have never been happy with these guys, I like ex. lg., there is a guy just up the street on 707 across from Socastee High who has been selling there for years out of his pickup, but he also mixes the sizes up and that is not what I am looking for.

Glad your trying out my low country boil, I hope you go out to eat a number of times also, help our economy out :)

Gary

5. Re: Farmer's Market/fresh produce/fresh shrmip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 08:16