We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Input?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Input?

Any insite from any locals concerning this pending hurricane? We are set to check in this Sat (aug 27). With traveling with a toddler we are very unsure about going, which sucks because we checked with the hotel and we had to cancel within 14 days to get our deposit back. any imput about prior storms? last year we were in MB when Earl was passing by, it did not affect us at all. Also in 04 it looked like Charley passed over MB while heading north. How was the MB area after Charley passed?

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Input?

See this link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659476-i12770-k47…

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Input?

According the the weather channel just now (11:33 am Monday) looks like it will be about 115 mph winds on Saturday AM. This is actually the first I have heard about it, I seldom watch TV. Anything can happen with this storm between now and then so I would give it a few more days. I will check back in on this post, and I'm sure others here will too. We won't let you drive into a major hurricane!

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Input?

There is no telling. The models are shifting farther east everyday.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Input?

Your one-stop hurricane source on TA:

http://tinyurl.com/TA-Irene-Forum

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Input?

Each hour the new update has the storm moving slightly east. If the storm brushedthe MB area on Saturday morning. What would a visitor expect the next 7 days...with no major or direct hit, would things be opening back up quickly? With the track moving more east, I feel we should still try to make to MB. We would be coming in Saturday afternoon, but may hang out that Saturday outside of I-95 untll everything clears.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Input?

KJR yes, and by noon probably, the hotels have generators.

This would be the only problem I see .... for the hotels that have breeze ways instead of hallways... You need to have somewhere to go that is A) enclosed and B) doesn't have windows. I am sure all the hotels have plans in place when needed. Your plan sounds like a good one given the storm keeps moving East. The outer bands might still be "tropical storm" and you don't want to drive in that. Having lived on the coast all my life, 2 hours south of Myrtle Beach, I can tell you that A) News stations will hype everyone up and B) You just don't know what a storm is going to do in your area this far out.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Input?

We certainly prefer that if at all possible change your plans. We will work with you to change dates, if you do not have travel insurance (travel insurance would only take affect if its MANDATORY)evacuation, the last thing any coastal area needs is a bunch of vacationers stranded. You know how limited our roadways are in and out of here. Large resorts will have partial power with generators, they will not power the entire building. Small condo buildings may have only elevator generators or none at all. IF the winds get to be a certain strength, then power or not, the elevators will be locked on the top floor, you will have to use stairs. SO what if there is some kind of flood surge and your car is parked on the ground-we don't know. 2 years ago Ike was a Cat 2 and 50 people died. But watch the weather channel. Don't come if they are telling residents to prepare -we really will have our hands full as it is. Went thru this maybe 7 yrs, what was it Floyd-anyway some of the hotels that had no power for the rooms had rooms with no way to open windows-really? Does that sound fun? Also the balcony furniture will be moved inside the room, another thing to maneuver around.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 01:58
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Input?

Hart, Floyd was in Sept. 1999 (12 yrs ago) that is the storm that started off hitting the east Fl. coast (so they were sent out of the state) then it changed to the Ga.coast (and they were sent out of the state) so both states were on I-95. Then they said it was going to come up the SC coast and they made us leave... 3 states and all headed up I-95 and I-26. It took us 19 hours to go to Sapphire Valley, NC which is ususally a 5 hour drive!! What a mess I-26 and 95 were. Hugo (Sept. 1989) wasn't supposed to hit Charleston, yet it turned at the very last minute and slammed right into us.

Irene is now a Cat 2 storm, they are expecting it to be a Cat 3 when it hits the Bahamas .

KJR, see what the storm is doing in the morning, then maybe think seriously about canceling your plans. You won't be the only one, and if things change we will do what we can to help you find a room.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Input?

We've updated the main thread with the 11 pm forecast. I'll have another update ready tomorrow morning based on the 5 am or 8 am forecast. There hasn't been too much movement since this afternoon's forecast, however, the pace of the hurricane's projected path has slowed, which means that it has more time to intensify.

Bookmark this link if you haven't already: http://tinyurl.com/TA-Irene-Forum

10. Re: Hurricane Input?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 00:17