We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We left NJ at 2:30AM to avoid the Washington-VA traffic. The trip was smooth with stops at Wawa exit 230 in Fredicksburg, VA, and JR's exit 97 Selma, NC. The gasoline was about $.30 per gallon cheaper in VA. We exited 95 at RT 9/57 exit to Myrtle Beach, and didn't like this part of the trip. That's because this really isn't much of a highway but more like a county road that goes thru small towns (25mph). Next time we'll exit in NC Rt 40!

We arrived at the Shore Crest around 2 PM and checked to see if the villa was ready. Unfortunately it was not, but after an hour of checking out the Shore Crest the villa was ready. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom OF villa and were pleased with the accommodations. But there were a few things we disliked about the Shore Crest, no cell service or wireless internet in the rooms, and the reserving of lounge chairs at the pools. Of course the cell phones worked on the balcony, and also there was wireless internet also on the balcony!

We went to the Comedy Cabana one night and were very entertained by Basile. Another night we played mini-golf at Hawaiian Village, and excellent course.

We ate breakfast only at Golden Griddle when not eating in, and the pancakes & french toast were great. For dinner we visited River City Cafe which seemed overpriced this trip for burgers. The 3500 Grill which was hot or miss, peel & eat shrimp terrible and steak excellent, etc. My daughter's favorite stop Thorny's, but they no longer serve kid's meals on freebies. We wanted to visit Benito's but at 5:20 there was no parking, so we stopped at Overtime. Overtime has a good selection of burgers and entrees and everyone left happy.

The ride home was not as good the to Myrtle Beach. We had no problems taking 17 to 40 to 95. But after stopping for dinner in Virginia the traffic backed up, then a storm hit and the going was SLOW! In all the return ride was 13 hours compared to 11 hours to get there!

Toronto
Level Contributor
285 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report. Always nice to see where people who are active on TA go.

I have one request. I have primarily stayed at one small time share condo in MB for years and don't immediately recognize the name and/or location of places listed in most reviews and questions. It would help me and I think likely others if some area reference was used for resorts/condos, south MB, central, an avenue reference, anything like that. I recognize a lot of the names but have no idea where places other than the obvious Barefoot and BAB references.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 02:21
Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Hawaiian Village?? What, no real golf or were you too embarassed after wife beat you.

How did you fare with Irene at you home in Howell?

Edited: 01 September 2011, 17:13
Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Actually I beat all 3 ladies at min-golf. I left the clubs at home since I had a golf trip this past January.

As for the hurricane, we lost power twice. First we lost power on Sunday for 8 hours, 9Am-5PM. Then again yesterday from about 8AM-1PM. So I'm looking into buying a small generator just in case. how did you fare in Old Bridge?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Fugs - When I see a property mentioned that I don't recognize, I type the name into google & it usually comes up with a map or address. Hope that helps when there is no reference to area. We sometimes forget that there are less frequent visitors here :)

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Sopranofreak you hit it on the nail, any time I find something new I google it!

York
Level Contributor
84 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

I am not sure about your routes but we always enjoyed going the back roads in NC and SC through the small towns. More scenery and you get the local flavor of what the area is like. After driving from PA on interstate, the two lane roads are such a great change for us.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

First time in 25 years we had water in our basement.Had power though.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

I have to stick with ledsep1061 we dont do the back roads.... Im not about a lazy easy trip to the beach its about what I do there... and I just want to get there .....

Sounds like all in all a nice trip.... our trip in June seems like years ago instead of 3 months!!!!!!!!!!! would be nice to go again but noooooo time in the schedule between 2 work schedules, a college schedule and a jr high 3 sport schedule..... not until prob July...... uuuggghhhhhhhhh

Glad you had a good time. and not tooooo much trouble from Irene

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

zep man, you didn't mention dates or departure time on your return trip.

We experienced our worst traffic nightmare coming north from MB on 95 south of the DC beltway on a Sunday afternoon about 3 pm. Took hours to go a few miles. And this was in Feb!!! No accident, just normal traffic!

I'll never try that again....in either direction, if we can't make it through the DC metro area (ideally) between 9pm & 5am, we take 13 through DELMARVA.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it beats the prospect of wasting gas & time in barely crawling traffic.

If 95 is your route of choice, by all means time your trip both ways.

10. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 00:17