We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

First time to MB in 20 years. No idea what is around our hotel. Thoughts, suggestions, warnings appreciated. Thank you.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

There's a Friendly's Restaurant just south, Family Kingdom Amusement Park is just a cross the street and Family Kingdom Water Park is right next door. On the beach on the south side of the property is McAdoo's Cafe which is a small oceanfront bar and grill that offers live entertainment during the summer. Directly across from the hotel is a convenience store and a beach shop (King's I believe it is). Out on Hwy 17 is a donut shop that is within walking distance. The new boardwalk begins a couple of blocks north at the 2nd Ave Pier. There are a couple of ice cream shops nearby- one on Ocean Blvd at the water park and another on 3rd Ave S. The only other restaurants I would consider within walking distance are The Noisy Oyster and Benjamin's Calabash buffet but I have no experience with either.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

Columbus, when are you coming to the beach? Makes a difference what is open and things to do.

I would steer clear of Benjamin's, tourist trap, not to be confused with Original Benjamin's on Restaurant Row, which is good. Noisy Oyster is a good place.

Gary

Columbus
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

Gary:

Coming in a week from Sunday (unless there is severe weather in the forecast). I'm looking for moderate ($50/60 for two) dinner suggestions. My wife is definitely not the culinarily (it's a word now) adventurous type. The Calabash style would not be something she would like. Salads, fish & shrimp, chicken and an occasional Outback filet is about all she will do. Thanks for the help.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

OK, sss, your staying down around 2nd Ave south and the Blvd so here are my close by sugesstions for you:

Big Daddys Roadhouse on 17 biz and 17th S

J Edwards on 17 biz near 22nd S (they may be closing down soon as Ed passed away ove r the weekend, they had been ready to close back the beginning of the year and worked things out)

Friendly's across from the resort good breakfast and lunch inexpensively.

Noisy Oyster as I mentioned is good.

If your wife likes fish and shrimp she would like Calbash style, it is just breaded and fried seafood and you can order at most places broiled or baked, Calabash is/was a marketing ploy back in the 70's as I have posted about before.

If your going to go shopping over at Broadway at the Beach one day/evening, which I suggest you do, eat at Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery, they serve more than steaks and home brewed beer.

If you need more advise or suggestions just ask.

I think we may feel a bit of the approaching new storm but it should be gone by the time you get here.

Enjoy your vacation

Gary

Columbus
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

Gary:

Thanks much for the information. Let's hope Maria chooses the same path as Katia.

I just stumbled on your previous posts earlier this a.m. and will check them out tonight.

Looking forward to a great time. Your input is much appreciated.

Now, if you could just get gas below $3 a gallon. . .

6. Re: Good Restaurants and Attractions near the Sandy Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 05:16