We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around town

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around town

Hello everyone. I'm planning a trip to Myrtle Beach in October and have a question about getting around. Our usual MO is to arrive at our given destination, park the car and then spend our time getting around on foot. We love to walk and always plan our stays so our hotel is within walking distance of shopping, dining and bars. Will that be possible in Myrtle Beach or will we need our car to get around? Any recommendations for hotels that might be within walking distance of stuff? Thanks for any advice!

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around town

MB is very spread out, so some of the popular spots will be miles apart. If walking is your thing, it is more feasible in Oct than in the summer while it is so hot and subject to quick showers. Like any vacation destination, there are areas that I would not walk through at night. So, while you might enjoy walking, I have to recommend using your car to get around.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around town

My rant about this: http://tinyurl.com/67wknd2

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around town

There are resorts that will allow you to walk to many activities but of course there will be many that you won't be able to. If you want to walk to the Boardwalk, Skywheel, Ripleys, some Bars & Restaurants and be a very short cab ride91.3 miles to Broadway at the Beach , then I would recommend the Breakers, camelot, The Anderson Club and the Caribbean. The Breakers and Camelot would put you closer to the activities but I think the Anderson and Caribbean are nicer. Good luck

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
301 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around town

You know, I typically have the same MO as you, Tearitup, so when I was first planning my trip to MB, I was looking for similar. There are a lot of threads that I have seen on this topic just since May as well. It is one of those things that is hard to visualize until you see it.

It sounds like you will have a car anyways which is good because once you get in, you will see what everyone is talking about. Not only is everything spead out, but you will typically have to cross some very large, busy roads as well if you are walking and not everywhere will be connected by sidewalks either. There will be some things to walk to just about anywhere you stay, some you can even take a beachwalk to, but for the most part, you are going to want to drive.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around town

Thanks everyone. That was the impression I got as well from the little reading that I did. Sounds like getting around on foot is just not going to be practical. Too bad as that's what usually keeps us returning to many places year after year. (Key West, San Antonio, New Orleans)

Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around town

If you stay at the Breakers, there is plenty to do with just walking around. Plenty of Bars, and Restaurant you can walk to. Broadway at the Beach is only 1.5 mile inland from there. You can walk there but a cab ride is cheap too.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around town

Thanks China. I think I'll be looking in that area for a place to stay.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking around town

Just something to consider--if you really want to be able to do a lot of walking around, you might want to stay at one of the smaller outlying beaches (Cherry Grove/Ocean Drive to the north, Surfside/Garden City to the south). All have small arcade/shopping/pier areas that are fun to check out, and in general it's a safer walking environment with less traffic than Myrtle Beach proper. Yet you're within an easy drive to Myrtle and all the attractions there.

9. Re: Walking around town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 20:18