We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2011 Best of the Beach

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
2011 Best of the Beach

The MB Sun News just released results from their annual "Best of the Beach", readers' poll of the best attractions, resorts, shops, restaurants, etc, etc along the Grand Strand. Can't say I agree with a lot of it, but it's interesting reading. I'm always amazed by all the chain restaurants that show up in the listings. Is Carrabba's **really** the best Italian restaurant around???

The results are broken down into 2 sections - "Readers' Choice" (ballots submitted by locals), and "Visitors' Voice" (feedback from visitors to the area). The print version has a 3rd section of special places selected by the editors. That section was good stuff, don't know why they ommitted it from the online version.

www.thesunnews.com/best-of-the-beach-results/

Toronto
Level Contributor
285 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

TonyMik will be glad to see the Melting Pot received good ratings :)

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

Shocking to see Carrabba's and The Olive Garden listed as the best Italian Restaurant. The O G is hardly real Italian food but if a lot of people like it, then thats what counts. Many parts of the US do not really have great Italian food even though I found a very good Italian Restuarant in the Market Commons called Travinia's. I am very happy that The Caribbean is 1st in 3 catergories, it's my favorite and as a new owner it's good to see that many vistor's feel the same way.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 17:53
New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

Wonder if Myrtle Beach is the same as our area. Business' must pay to be advertised in the listings as potential winners. That might explain the abundance of chain restaurants as winners. They obviously have a higher advertising budget.

In our community when a non-paid business makes the list it means more to the locals as they must add the name individually.

Not sure how it's done with Sun News.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

Glad to see ENoodles was a finalist! Carrabbas IS very good! Have to remember, people don't have some of the "chain" resturants in their hometown, so they go to them in MB when on vacation. Good is good no matter if its a chain or local. And Melting Pot....I think is for atmosphere...not the food. (imo)

5. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 November 2011, 02:52
binghamotn, ny
Level Contributor
148 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

My vote for Italian would be Chianti South in Little River....

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

AA, see my posts get removed for no good reason, this is what was posted above that was removed:

Hey all, I actually laughed out loud upon reading some of the results.

Places do not pay to be included in the voting but they do pay for the right to use and get plaques that say how great they are.

A lot of businesses ask folks to vote for them, they have all their employees vote and tell the employees to tell all their friends and family to vote, so the more employees you have, you start with an advantage.

In all the years this has run I have never voted nor have any of my friends that are not in the business, so yes it is just marketing/advertising bragging rights.

It is nice to see a small place make the list, like Old World Italian, that tells you one thing, it is good!

Stay well

Gary

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

Gary - I thought it was your post that got deleted. Cannot imagine why, unless they failed to read the whole thread and were confused enough to think you were talking about TA. I thought yours was an accurate description of "Best of the Beach". I find it entertaining but don't pay much attn to the results. If a discussion of Best of Beach is inappropriate, they should have deleted the entire thread.

Ditto on your Old World comments. No one will ever mistake it for progressive, "creative" meals, but IMO it's still one of the best classic Italian restaurants around. Sorry, just can't imagine anyone picking Carrabba's. Just my $0.02.....

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

I just came across this posted by Myrtle Beach Golf Association, just for those

who may have doubted what I said earlier:

Don’t Be Fooled! There is a local endorsement known as The Best of the Beach, that area businesses, especially area restaurants, tout in their advertising as a local “vote of confidence” for their business. Please be advised that in most cases a Best of the Beach rating is a farce because the local businesses “fix the results” by getting all of their staffers, suppliers, family members, neighbors, customers, buddies and pets to send in ballots for them. We know one character that sent in 50 ballots for himself in one week.

Gary

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2011 Best of the Beach

Then it's just like ours at home. What a shame!