We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Crabs

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Crabs

Last August when we visited MB my son was thrilled with the little sand crabs he would find when digging in the sand. We have planned a June trip this year and all he can talk about are those little crabs. Just curious are they always there or do they come at certain times of the year?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,016 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Crabs

We were there last June and my kids saw quite a few, but they little things are so fast that we could not catch any. But I do think they are there all the time.

Also, be sure to take a fishing net. The kids also love to try to catch those tiny fish (minnows) that come in with each wave. Take a bucket too.

Good luck!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Crabs

I never thought much about it but I think they are always here..

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Crabs

Kelly

They must be talking about what I have always called "sand fleas" (?)

They have like a little thin shell, about maybe 1/2 inch long, and you turn them over and its like a little flea ...I know you can dig these for bait, and I do think they are pretty much there all summer, not really sure about the colder months, tho...I'm sure someone knows alot more about these little critters than me...but the kids that hang out on the beach where I go are always bringing up buckets of them...and the conquinas are cool to watch too...thats those little multi colored shells that pop up at the tide line and then disappear when the water hits and then reappears when the water receeds again... :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Crabs

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post! My little guy will be thrilled to hear the news that the little crabs will be there! That is all he talks about!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Crabs

haha thats funny because when i was younger my brother always loved those little sand crabs too, yeah they are there all year. I was terrified of them however lol dont know why.