We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

I've told a few people about wanting to take my family to Myrtle Beach this June, and both people said not to stay in NMB like it was a bad thing. We used to go every year for our vacation to MB at the "Hope Cottage" (prob not there anymore since it was 25 years ago) and one year we stayed in Cherry Grove, but I don't remember one place being better than another. I've already started looking at MANY places to stay in both locations, but just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

Some people think the area is less classy - not my opinion. Perhaps 10-15 years ago, but not now... There may be other reasons, but this is the main one....

Here is a great blog: blackbikeweek.us/2011/…index.html

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

Less classy? No offense, but when I think Myrtle Beach, classy is not the first adjective that comes to mind.

The primary advantage of the outlying beaches (whether north or south) is much less traffic and smaller crowds. The beaches are great in either direction, and there are lots of lodging options from the basic to the luxurious. Just me, but I much prefer the outlying beaches to Myrtle Beach proper.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

I've never heard anything bad about North Myrtle....just the opposite actually. And.....Classy and Myrtle Beach do not belong in the same sentence...LOL

North Myrtle is a little quieter yes...but just a little. There is plenty to do there

without driving down to Myrtle...unless you want to. Maybe a trip to Broadway at the Beach...which I do prefer over Barefoot Landing. Stay whereever you can find a nice hotel/condo with the things you want in it...whether its Myrtle or North Myrtle.

(ps...my niece lives in Bozeman!)

Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

We would be going mid-June, so I guess it will be crowded no matter what. My kids are 15, 13 and 9 so don't need places with a lot of little kid amenities but pools are nice. My biggest want is for nice beaches that aren't so crowded that it's just a sea of people on the beach, so that was the original reason for looking into NMB.

Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

beachlady3 - wow, I never hear that! (about knowing people who live here) Thanks for comparing the two. One of my friend's just said it wasn't as nice, but from what I had heard, it all runs together. I'll just compare the condos - this all depends on airfare of course since it's $579 per ticket right now.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

Yikes!! $579?! Would driving be an option?? You will need a car once you get to MB anyway...so you would have another expense of a rental car. I know it would be a long drive, but that would make for a nice family vacation..."see the USA...with a Myrtle Beach stay"

(yes, my niece visited Bozeman last year from Colorado...and liked it so much she ended up moving there)

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

You can look in the Garden City area, the beach is not as crowded and if you look at a 2 or 3 bedroom condo across the street from the beach you will save a lot of money, to make up for the flight, there is no way I would drive from MT here with the family for a vacation, unless we had a few weeks to sightsee along the way and way back, but even then in a car, I don;t think so.

Gary

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

Not unless you like driving a WHOLE LOT more than I do. You will definitely need a car while here though.

Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

Airfare out of here is always awful. The best "deals" I've seen to that area of the country is to Orlando for $338, which is why we've gone there twice and then driven to either Cocoa Beach or Clearwater Beach, but not sure I'd want to do that to MB from Orlando. If I can get tickets for $400 or $450 I'll probably do it. That would be a LONG drive! :) Not sure we could handle it even if we did have time. My daughters need a little space, lol.

Massillon, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do people say "Oh, don't stay in North Myrtle Beach..."

I just came across this post, I don't know if you've made arrangements yet, but we LOVE North Myrtle Beach! We do to North Myrtle every year. In fact, we will not even stay in Myrtle because the crowds and traffic are much worse. The beaches are cleaner and nicer in North Myrtle. There are plenty of restaurants everywhere to eat up and down 17 (Kings Highway). We do drive into Myrtle to go to a restaurant we like, and then hit Broadway at the Beach. This drive takes around 30 minutes, not bad at all. North Myrtle has less high rise hotels and more smaller condiminium complexes. Myrtle and Garden City is nothing but big hotel after big hotel. We've stayed many places in North Myrtle, we prefer Windy Hill area, but all of them (Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive, Crescent Beach, and Windy Hill) are nice. Cherry Grove is a little more upscale and more expensive. Good luck and have fun!! Post back where you decide to stay, I would love to give you all my favorite tried and true restaurants...yum!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach