We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rochester, NY to MB

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Rochester, NY to MB

We are thinking of coming up during spring break. Thought that we should break up the trip. Any suggestions on where to stop. Thought maybe of spending the day at the DC zoo and then driving another hour toward MB. Any towns that are on the way that would be good to stop in for the night? Maybe something not too far of the course. Would be going on Good Friday and then possibly coming to MB on that Saturday before Easter.

Also thinking of staying at the Hampton Inn on the beach with our family. Has had very good write ups. Planning on staying for about 4 nights and then coming back home with possiblity of staying again near Washington DC.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rochester, NY to MB

You're planning on driving to DC and visiting the zoo in the same day? Or driving one day, visiting the zoo the next? As you know it's about a 7 hour drive to the zoo from Rochester if you don't have too many stops. If you're planning on leaving super early in the morning you could spend a few hours at the zoo in the same day. Being Easter weekend will bring lots of visitors as well so expect large crowds and the possibility of extra traffic. I would stop in Fredericksburg for the night. I just stayed at

Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg-at Celebrate Virginia

1080 Hospitality Lane, Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA 22401.

Great location and very nice stay.

We've also stayed at this hotel:

Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North

22400 Flagstaff Plaza, Ashburn, Virginia, USA 20148

Another great location.

If you don't stop in DC and want to get further down the interstate Rocky Mount is also a good location. Emporia has far less choices, especially for restaurants. As for staying in Myrtle Beach there are so many good choices. Check previous forum posts for a list of options. Keep in mind that weather in April can be tricky. I've been when it was 80 and when it was 45. If you have young children you may want to consider a hotel with a good indoor pool. The ocean will be too cold to spend much time in! Maybe get your toes wet! Hope you have a great trip!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rochester, NY to MB

Thanks for your post. Now I'm second guessing if we should go to MB. We really want to go for the beach and ocean. We have a pool back at home so we don't need to do the indoor pool thing. We really like to see the sites etc, when we spend so much traveling. Maybe we should just do DC.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Rochester, NY to MB

Glad you were saved from disappointment.

Most of us would have to head much further south than MB to enjoy the ocean in April. Not to say it can't be done....kids do it

Also, driving to DC, doing the zoo or another attraction, and then heading out the same day to drive further is a very ambitious schedule, especially on a holiday weekend....you might not realize how bad the traffic can get, heading south on 95 from the city on a Friday afternoon/eve, but I'm willing to bet you'd never try it again....

I'd plan on staying there overnight.

4. Re: Driving from Rochester, NY to MB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 10:25