We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clam Digging

Hainesport, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Clam Digging

Clam digging at Oyster Recycle location referenced south of Myrtle Beach and just north of Huntington State Park is posted off limits for this activity. Can't find any other location for this event in the Myrtle Beach area.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Clam Digging

Recently I made a post either here or another forum, that although I 1st moved here in 79 I have not done all there is to do in the area and was wondering if it is even possible.

I grew up spending many spring and fall weekends as well as all summer on Cape Cod and for as long as I can remember, I dug for clams on the sandbar in front of our house. I have never clammed here, I have picked myshare of oysters, which I never did on the Cape, but never clams here, I have never heard of a clamming area, now I wonder if there are any also, and if so, I will be there this year.

Waiting on someone who knows to respond :)

Gary

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clam Digging

According to the SCDNR website, Oyster Landing is the only public shellfishing areas in Horry or Georgetown Counties. www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/shellfish/pubshell.html

Off hand, I don't know any reason the area would be closed. There were a number of folks clamming yesterday at low tide. The signs can be confusing. In addition to the public areas, there are also leased areas and restricted areas, both of which are closed to the public. There's a map on the web page link above but I have never figured it out. To be safe, you might want to call SCDNR @ (843) 953-9841 or (843) 953-9391.

Whatever you do, be sure you have a current fishing license. DNR works that area hard.

3. Re: Clam Digging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach