We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
"Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

I will be in Myrtle Beach with my husband and two kids ( 9 & 11) April 7-April 14. We are staying in Dunes Village Resort. What the things we should definitely do while we are there? We plan on spending time at the beach (if its warm enough) and the indoor water park. But I am interested in doing other things too. Also, what are the best places to eat? Thanks!!

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

I would plan on spending an afternoon at Broadway At The Beach and a walk on the Boardwalk. Drive down to Murrells Inlet, many restaurants there, one evening for dinner and do the Marshwalk.

Best places to eat ??? As there are some 1600 restaurants there the list could get long.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

When we went on vacation there wasn't all this what to do stuff, you went to beach that was it. Did not have pools. Rooms did not have to have 4 flat screens, 3 dvd's, wifi. If you had 1 tv you were "lucky" and there wasn't cable. And who watched tv anyway. Evenings we talked, played cards and games. We had family time. Sure doesn't happen like that anymore. Our children are missing out on what the "beach" should really be like, but we have all done same thing. Our main worry now is how to keep the kids entertained.

Columbus
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

Hi cpr......we have kids around the same age...here are some things we enjoyed last time we went

Broadway at The Beach is a definate must do....Lots of shops and stuff to do.

Ripleys Aquarium...you walk through a tunnel with a shark filled aquarium all around you. Really cool to see sharks that up close. My kids want to go here every year

Wonderworks....Giant interactive science learning/fun center. This is pretty new....building is unbelievable...you'll know if when you see it...kids had a realy good time here...you could blow a whole day here

Fishing off any of the piers...very cheap...very relaxing....

There is an amusement park...overpriced for what's there, but it's vacation so what the heck

Skywheel? - We didn't do this, but I think it's the latest "big thing" at Myrtle Beach. It's basically a giant ferris wheel (I think like one of the largest in the country)...Your whole family could fit in one car...if I remember correctly, the cars are glass enclosed and air conditioned

As far as food, we loved the Carolina Roadhouse. Don't let the roadhouse name fool you....it's not some second rate steakhouse. Food was delicious (get the crouisants...light and flaky with honey drizzled over them...my kids goobled them up). We liked it so much we went twice which we normally don't do on vacation

Hope some of those help....have a great trip

southern ontario
Level Contributor
940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

hart 1, I feel your pain! Thanks to electronics and the internet, kids don't know how to amuse themselves anymore. That's a shame- my GD included, so please don't anyone be offended.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

CPR711, don't listen these curmudgeons. Talking, playing cards, games and family time is what most people find at home. Vacation for many of us is all about the amusements, and this is precisely why Myrtle Beach is so popular. You'll never run out of things to do. It's not just about keeping the kids entertained. I'm 50 and I still like to go, go, go when I'm on vacation. You'll find me at the water parks and the go-karts right next to my kids.

Find the little search box for this forum and plug in the words "must do" and "must see" and you'll find dozens of threads about the topic. Do the same to find restaurant advice. Have FUN.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

While you are down in the Murrell's Inlet area, you and your children might enjoy Huntington Beach State Park. There are lagoons there where you might spot alligators. Also an undeveloped beach for 'beach combing' if that is something you like.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

On the Left-Hand side of this page there is a link named "Things to Do"...

Check it out !

Edited: 13 February 2012, 22:11
Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

Some good suggestions mentioned above and if your looking for the kids to have a great time add, Aligator Adventure, Maze Mania, Tupilo Bay Par 3 golf under the lights at night, the Blvd between 8th and 11th Ave North taking in the shops, arcades, Websters Ice Cream (the best period), the Ripleys attractions and more.

Some of the best mini golf courses you will find anywhere, let's see what else was not mentioned, a dolphen cruise out of the family friendly Calabash Fishing Fleet, there is so much here and I could go on for pages but this gives you a good start.

Enjoy the beach

Gary

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

Mid April things will start warming up a bit, but the water will still be cold, though may be OK for you considering you are coming from upstate NY. Enjoy the beach as much as you can. Try bocce ball on the beach (especially low tide) and/or rent bikes (you can ride on the beach as well).

The beach is by far the best attraction, but to mix things up a bit (and this is based on our kids experiences), putt-putt, Aquarium, and Magi-quest are their favorites.

Pennsauken, NJ
Level Contributor
18 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Must-do" things while in Myrtle Beach

Hi CPR!

We will be there the same week as you are! I went last year around this time and had a blast. The water was warm enough to walk on the beach with your toes in the water, and the beach was uncrowded and beautiful. Not like the Jersey/NY beaches at all. People we met were always so kind, too.

My kids are 10 and 12. Last year my number one favorite attraction was Alligator Adventure, because I love Gators. Depending on it your kids need constant action, they may or may not like this, it's more of a laid back thing (basically stare at Gators and they stare back at you lol)

This year, there is a Pirate's Voyage Dinner Show that I am still on the fence about. It's the same fare as Medieval Times (have you ever been to that? ) and it appears to be about as overpriced. Pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Again, as others noted ... MagiQuest, The Aquarium and other Ripleys amusements, mini-golf is all over. Wonderworks is hands on fun that they will not get bored at! I can't remember if it was MB or Pigeon forge, but one of the Wonderworks has a great magician that performs daily.

I was reading on the forums about Georgetown, apparently a 45 min drive and filled with cute shops and history. Might be a good day trip, never been there though!

Also, I am planning at least 3 days with nothing on the agenda so we can spend some time chil-axing (their terminology, not mine, lol) and playing it by ear.

One thing I am planning to look into is the Le Grande Cirque Show... sounds like something we would all enjoy!

Hope you enjoy your vaca!!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach