We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

on the beach...handicap accessible

upstate ny
Level Contributor
99 posts
28 reviews
on the beach...handicap accessible

My Dad is turning 90 this year and we want to take him to Myrtle Beach for a couple of days. My Mom and Dad owned oceanfront property there for years so it has special meaning for them.

My Dad is wheelchair/walker bound which really only comes into play with regard to the bathroom.

I am looking for a 2 bedroom...very nice/luxury accomodation for 4 days the beginning of May. It must be on the ocean and have a porch or balconey with a clear view of the beach sine my Dad will not be able to spend a lot of time on the beach itself.

It can be a private home, a condo, or a hotel...as long as it is very

nice.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly...greatly...appreciated.

thomson ga
11 posts
1. Re: on the beach...handicap accessible

Holiday Sands @South Beach offers 2 bedroom ocean front units which I have stayed in. I will not call them luxury but I will say very very good and well taken care of .You can stay as high as the 6th floor (great view), high as the garage goes without riding the elevator, get out of your car, walk 75 steps to your front door. They do have handicap units just don't know what floor. The regular units have large bath tubs and plenty of room to turn around in, in the master bathroom. The balcony is full width including the master and livingroom + the rear bedroom has a ocean view balcony............ can't beat that

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: on the beach...handicap accessible

This is a very good question. If you search the forum for "handicapped" threads, there's not much there (to my surprise).

If you have access to an AAA Guidebook, they list different icons for "handicapped accessible features" and "roll in showers," but not fully ADA compliant accomodations (at least not in my dated book). There is probably a website that would list that in every area.

Glancing through, it seems the Radisson and Marriott properties (including Fairfield Inns) have been near the top of the list both for first-class accomodations and handicapped accessibility, followed by Sheraton.

Holiday Inns and Quality Inns also rank high. In the budget category, Super 8's seem handicap friendly.

Many hotels that don't have these symbols provide stairless access to most or all rooms and main features, but not many provide stairless beach, pool or spa access. I have been told that is soon due to change.

Since 2006 when the first ramps arrived, Myrtle Beach has done a great job of providing ramp access to most beaches at the cross streets. If your hotel doesn't provide this, a cross street is often not far away.

As for specific recommendations, I would suggest you check with either the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes or possibly their Oceanwatch Villas to see if their bathrooms would be suitable. Royale Palms by Hilton is another top-notch property.

In the south end, Hampton Inn and Paradise Resort are very nice and modern, but not as luxurious.

Maybe your dad would enjoy staying somewhere near where the property was. Sure hope it all goes smooth and he enjoys his visit.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: on the beach...handicap accessible

Also, along with Holiday Sands SOuth and Paradise Resort in the south in you also have Grand Atlants. There three are very close to each other and all are just a few years old.

4. Re: on the beach...handicap accessible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 10:31