We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Shells

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockford, Michigan...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sea Shells

We are heading to Surfside the first of April and we would like to go Shell Hunting.. Any locals know of any "secret" places to go :) Or what time of day is the best?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Shells

Generally speaking, shelling is not outstanding around MB. I don't think there are any secrets, but a couple good choices -

Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet has a wonderful beach, and in April you won't have a lot of competition. If you park in the north parking lot of the park, it's about 1.25 mile walk up the beach to the jetties. Often, there are quite a few shells in that area. I don't know if there is a best time of day, other than early before others get there. The park's fee is $5/person, I think.

One of the best shelling spots around is North Island, in Winyah Bay, Georgetown, but it requires a boat. Cap'n Rod does a terrific boat tour out of Georgetown to the island, including an hour or so to explore the island's beach. Cap'n Rod is a genuine Lowcountry character, and it's well worth the price. He generally gets rave reviews by TA reviewers - tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54245-d15…

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Shells

Yep, and further south I've heard Bull Island is good shelling also.

This year MB was very disappointing shelling-wise. In past years we've had several bags to take home, this year virtually nothing worth picking up, and competition is fierce.

You might try walking the beach south beyond Springmaid Pier.

PawleysDude, are you sure this Cap'n Rod qualifies geographically as a genuine lowcountry dweller? Better check with the Charleston experts.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Shells

I would try Myrtle Beach State Park. Go to the very south end of the state park. Very few shell hunters there. Go at low tide.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Shells

<<daddio wondered: PawleysDude, are you sure this Cap'n Rod qualifies geographically as a genuine lowcountry dweller? Better check with the Charleston experts.>>

LOL! Oh Lord, ain't that the truth. FYI - the Charleston forum has been re-named to the "Center of the Universe" forum...

5. Re: Sea Shells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:15