We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

HI All:

We are stopping over in Wytheville, VA and the googlemap directions show us coming directly down #73 to 501 South.

We are checking in Saturday September 1st at the Breakers.

Is there a better way to get in that won't be as busy?

Thanks

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

If you leave Whytheville early enough you can get a good jump on any traffic and 501 won't be too bad when you get on it. But....We usually stay on 74 past Rockingham going into Laurenburg, then get on 501, staying on that until you get to Dillon, SC. Jump on Rt (or HWY) 9, which will take you almost to North Myrtle. Then get on Hwy 31 south, getting off onto Hwy 17 (not sure where on that part though) I would google maps again...and really zoom in to southern NC...and the look for these roads I mentioned. It will make more sense when you see it. (just remember Hwy. 9) Having said all that...if you DO get an early start, you could follow the original directions, getting off 501 just past Aynor, SC and jump on Rt. 22 By-Pass, which again will put you on 31. We have done that too. I just realized you are going in on Labor Day weekend...so yes, there will lots of traffic. Lots of locals heading to the beach, as well as out-of-staters. Good luck....have fun!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

After mid August the crowds really die down.

canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

Thanks to both - and yes we are coming in on the Saturday of the labour day weekend. We are expecting it to be very busy. Any further advice is appreciated.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

I agree with beachlady3 about picking up Route 9 in Dillon.

However I do not take Route 9 all the way to route 31. I jump off of Route 9 at SC-410 S.

Drive about 11 miles

SC-410 S becomes US-701 N/US-701.

Drive about 2 miles

Merge onto SC-22 E/Veterans Hwy. and take Veterans Hwy to Route 31.

My wife and I visit Myrtle in the summer and always come in on Saturday late morning or early afternoon. We have never had a problem with traffic using this route. Good luck.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

If you take 501 try to get into Myrtle Beach by noone. Once you pass the Steam plant take 544 into the Myrtle Beach Surfside area and head north up 17 to avoid the 17 501 merging traffic.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

Avoid 501. Check a map and make sure you come in down 544. i have to go down 501 everyday for work and sometimes traffic isn't bad, but its one of those roads where if one thing goes wrong- you'll be stuck there for an hour. 544 runs parallel to 501. From 544 you can get on to 17 bypass that will take you anywhere you need to go on the strip.

Hope this helps

canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

Thanks all - lots to check out and think on - love having options!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
196 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

Be careful as there is contruction at the 17 bypass/ 707 junction so if you plan on hopping on the bypass at 544/17 and going north you will be unpleasantly surprised. 22,31 and 544 have virtually no traffic on them so use them best you can.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

I agree with beach lady, until a certain point. Take Rt 74 to rt 501. Rt 501 will turn into Rt 130 just east of Rowland NC and just west of Rt 95.

Continue on Rt 130 over Rt 95 and make a rt on Rt 904 which will take you thru Fair Bluff and into Tabor City. Pick up rt 701 south and take to RT 9 east and to Rt 31 south to R Grissom Pkwy and directly into MB. I find this to be the best route and you will never hit traffic, in fact you will be doing 65 - 70 thru the NC country side and rarely will you see another vehicle. I am just hoping the secret doesn't get to far out of the bag here.

yo. oh
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way into Myrtle Beach on Saturday?

lenk

Dude, you just posted it on Al Gore's internet! lol

If you mention the old man who plays with tractors along the way, the real secret way will be out.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 01:27